Windproof Trousers - any ideas?!

Eaglehurst

Couldn't find them in my Clothing Regs 1955. But something I hadn't seen before Trousers, dreadnought Sorry don't want to hijack your thread but whilst we are into trousers what are Trousers, dreadnought? They sound a rather formidable garment.

Hello mate,They are a issued bit kit,used by the SBS for the canoes, I think they were also issued to RN for cold weather duties. Hard to find mine are marked the exact same.Ww2 era. Hope this helps.RegardsDanny

Thanks Danny - very helpful. Never heard of them before but then again I had never heard of Trousers Dreadnought either!! Every day is an education!!

:)

Thanks Dave - very helpful.

WWII gear is not really my thing so I will probably list on Ebay or similar once folks have recovered from the Christmas overspend!

As Dave says, WW2 RN issue for arctic climates, styled on the very old pattern of windproofs worn by people like Scott and Shackleton ! The suit is very voluminous, and the smock lacking pockets and all-in-all quite useless for most applications......known officially as a "Labrador Suit"....

Sabre Sales had loads of trousers NOS about 15 years ago now but the smocks are far rarer......I wouldn't personally put any great value on these......

It was interesting to read of the SBS connection too. I wasn't aware of that. You learn something new every day here ! Where did you read that ?

Post #2 on this thread Dave. I am ashamed to say that I know nothing about WWII gear so rely on wiser folks than me to advise....

Post #2 on this thread Dave. I am ashamed to say that I know nothing about WWII gear so rely on wiser folks than me to advise....

Hey Jason ! None of us are true experts on anything ! (I'd be a lot richer if I was :-().......personally, I know a bit about most things military and I honestly feel that we all learn much from others on this Forum....my own knowledge has increased thanks to others.........some of my own WW2 kit-awareness came from studying the subject to see where the 1950s and later garments developed from.......all damn interesting, although my better half would probably disagree..:(