63 Pattern DPM Windproof Smock

wdbikemad

I've recently managed to acquire a 63 pattern DPM windproof smock.....:-D

Really nice condition with little wear..........photos will be posted as soon as I can......

The garment is in the usual heavy cotton-sateen DPM fabric but a variant pattern lacking the "dots" in the print......and the colour, particularly the sand-shade in the print, is noticeably "yellow" in appearance.......

The smock has a "AZF" blackened brass zipper fitted on a bottle-green cotton base, and hood and lower drawcords in khaki tape very similar to the tie-tapes fitted to British Army puttees........

Buttons are 4-hole khaki-brown fibre as found on 60 and 68 pattern trousers for brace-attachment........

Label is still present but not too clear......but I can see that it is a common James Smith made product.......

Size is rather large......I am 6'3" and the sleeves are almost too long !!!! The body is also very generous and quite long, fitting me similar to a size 7 para smock........so I'm guessing a size 5 to 8...?

Although the label is none-too-clear the smock itself appears little-used and looks to have been washed maybe only once......colours are still strong.......I am estimating late-production, circa 1973-75.....?

Where did I find it...? Car boot.......£10.......:cool2:

I've recently managed to acquire a 63 pattern DPM windproof smock.....:-D

Really nice condition with little wear..........photos will be posted as soon as I can......

The garment is in the usual heavy cotton-sateen DPM fabric but a variant pattern lacking the "dots" in the print......and the colour, particularly the sand-shade in the print, is noticeably "yellow" in appearance.......

The smock has a "AZF" blackened brass zipper fitted on a bottle-green cotton base, and hood and lower drawcords in khaki tape very similar to the tie-tapes fitted to British Army puttees........

Buttons are 4-hole khaki-brown fibre as found on 60 and 68 pattern trousers for brace-attachment........

Label is still present but not too clear......but I can see that it is a common James Smith made product.......

Size is rather large......I am 6'3" and the sleeves are almost too long !!!! The body is also very generous and quite long, fitting me similar to a size 7 para smock........so I'm guessing a size 5 to 8...?

Although the label is none-too-clear the smock itself appears little-used and looks to have been washed maybe only once......colours are still strong.......I am estimating late-production, circa 1973-75.....?

Where did I find it...? Car boot.......£10.......:cool2:

nice find, am not really jealous at all!!!

Mark

It was a lucky find indeed...the only item of cammo in a field too.....thinking about it, I should have haggled....:D

Although uncommon to find nowadays, and largely unknown amongst many collectors, there is some suggestion that limited numbers of these smocks found their way into Army Cadet usage during the 1980s.......around the late-1970s the MoD introduced a simplified DPM smock for ACF/CCF issue, replacing the earlier green hooded cadet smock. Some of the 63 pattern DPM windproof smocks, obsolete since 1975-76 following introduction of the "SAS" gaberdine windproof, allegedly found their way into ACF stocks, supplementing issues of the cadet DPM item.......how true this is I'm not certain although the possibility remains....

It was a lucky find indeed...the only item of cammo in a field too.....thinking about it, I should have haggled....:D....

Come on then Steve post a few pictures and I will try to conceal my envy!

Although uncommon to find nowadays, and largely unknown amongst many collectors, there is some suggestion that limited numbers of these smocks found their way into Army Cadet usage during the 1980s.......around the late-1970s the MoD introduced a simplified DPM smock for ACF/CCF issue, replacing the earlier green hooded cadet smock. Some of the 63 pattern DPM windproof smocks, obsolete since 1975-76 following introduction of the "SAS" gaberdine windproof, allegedly found their way into ACF stocks, supplementing issues of the cadet DPM item.......how true this is I'm not certain although the possibility remains....

An ACF officer on another forum commented that they used to get quite a few examples of the 1963 windproof trousers/smocks coming into their stores. More often than not they would throw them out as non-standard items :red:

The garment is in the usual heavy cotton-sateen DPM fabric but a variant pattern lacking the "dots" in the print......and the colour, particularly the sand-shade in the print, is noticeably "yellow" in appearance....

Sounds like the DPM print on my James Smith made P1968 smock. I managed to get a matching hood for it off eBay, although that wasn't James Smith made.

Sounds like the DPM print on my James Smith made P1968 smock. I managed to get a matching hood for it off eBay, although that wasn't James Smith made.

I think I am correct in saying that James Smith never made hoods for the 68 pattern. I have seen many of these hoods over the years but never JS as a manufacturer whereas they are, by far, the most common manufacturer of smocks/trousers from the era.

I think I am correct in saying that James Smith never made hoods for the 68 pattern. I have seen many of these hoods over the years but never JS as a manufacturer whereas they are, by far, the most common manufacturer of smocks/trousers from the era.

Hmmm...I will look through all my DPM hoods and see if I can find a James Smith made version......

From memory, DPM hoods were primarily made by Remploy, Eltite, H E Textiles, F Fryer, Cookson & Clegg, H Lotery, XPN, XWS, etc, so I would be surprised if Smith's didn't have contracts for some, particularly being such a major supplier of DPM garments.....