Where could I find a bolt for a WW1 TankGewehr rifle?

I am currently restoring a German WW1 Mauser TankAbwehrGewehr 13mm rifle and I need a complete bolt assembly for it as well as a rear sight (same rear sight as the one on the Mg 08/15 but with a different range scale engraved on the slide... I know many bolts were brougth back as souvenirs as the rifle itself is too big to fit in the average pack!

I don't care if the bolt is damaged, rusty or deactivated... If anyone knows where such a bolt could be hiding, I'd be gratefull!

I intend to bring my rifle back to life and take it to the range one day!

F-L

I take it the bolt is diffrent from the 95 or 98 pattern? Can you post pictures of the beast? As for actualy shooting the beast, sooner you than me, contempoary acounts say it kicked like a pair of rabid cart horses. Where abouts are you? Can't think of an English range cleared for that sort of round.

The T-Gewehr bolt is much larger than a regular Mauser 98. It is over a foot long and has four locking lugs: two at the front like a 98 bolt and two at the rear. If you ever see a giant bolt that look like twice the size of a Gew98 bolt, it probably is a Tankgewehr bolt!

I'm located in Canada. Ironically, most ranges will not allow such a big caliber due to government restrictions BUT these rifles can be fired on any suitable private land and Crown land... It is registered as a hunting rifle basically here... Soon it will not even be registered at all when our long gun registry is scrapped!

I find all the tall tales about the T-Gewehr almost murderous recoil hard to believe!... It is very heavy and even without a muzzle brake, the recoil must have been manageable... I have fired a 14.5mm PTRS and the recoil was milder than most of my rifles! Of course, the PTRS is semi-automatic and has a large muzzle brake but the bullet is much heavier with a higher velocity... I have not fired a .50 from the shoulder but there are plenty of rifles in the 20 pounds weight range in that caliber and the recoil is not breaking shoulder or causing nose bleeds.

BTW, I have a Ferret Mk2 here... I'll try to look up the hull number if you need it for your list. It is missing the data plate but there is a number stamped inside the hull and the military number is still visible under the paint I believe... It is an ex-British one judging by the color scheme.

The same myth applies to the Boys Anti tank rifle. While it gives a better punch than the average rifle, it is by no means crippling. I find the adrenaline compensates for any extra hardship the rifle hands out.

I believe it might have been me that sold you that PTRS. I never shot it myself but it must be a showstopper at the range.

It is a showstopper! I managed to find an original clip for it and I have a dozen rounds left! These are mostly, I believe, chinese blank rounds converted to live rounds with a CNC turned bullet made of solid brass.

I have yet to fire the rifle in semi-auto mode with the clip. We only fired it with single rounds loaded manually up to now... The cost of the ammunition makes firing a full 5 round clip a thing to do only on special occasions!

If I invest in a reloading setup for the 13mm t-gewehr, I may get the dies for the 14.5mm and have bullets made for it also... I'm beginning to find .50 bmg rifles and ammunion not that expensive after all!!

BTW, I have a Ferret Mk2 here... I'll try to look up the hull number if you need it for your list. It is missing the data plate but there is a number stamped inside the hull and the military number is still visible under the paint I believe... It is an ex-British one judging by the color scheme.

Hello

I really would appreciate the ferret info. Many are missing the data plates, espacially exports. If you can send me the Military registration and the hull number that would be great.

Many thanks

Matt

I was looking at one of these massive AT rifles only today in the ww1 gallery at the imperial war museum and telling my daughter the tales of massive recoil ,Ihave never seen a round for one but was recently looking at a ww2 Russian AT rifle with a 12mm round and that was frightening enough,good luck in your search

Nigel