1/24th Scale FV1801 Austin Champ

RecyMech

Evening all.

For the Champ fans amongst us, I've just pasted up a picture of the latest 1/24th scale kit in the Military Range section on http://www.kitformservices.com :cool2: Just a parts layout at present & a few re-freshed details.

Hope you like it :blush:

As soon as we get the SMW show out of the way (this w/e at Telford) I'll be cracking on with the test builds & instructions.

Best regs all.

Howard @ KFS

• 2 weeks later...

Just pasted up 12 pics of the Champ proving rig http://www.kitformservices.com/standard.html

This is not a 'test build' as such. Just the thing I've test fitted, altered, re-fitted bits on. All comments welcome though boys.

Hood design & proving next (not looking forward to it)

LRDG in a Suez stylee anyone ?:cool2::cool2:

Best regs.......Howard.

Nice kit.... very tempting when is it going on sale ?

I have a few comments

I think that the champ only had one map pocket on the passenger seat back and not on both front seats, but I might be wrong.

It might be hard to replicate but there are is a sheet metal plates on each side of the front sump reinforment/guard plate.

and The steering wheel looks a bit wide at the center.

I am looking forward to seing it build

test-rig-1.jpg

CIMG7288.jpg

Quote;- I think that the champ only had one map pocket on the passenger seat back and not on both front seats, but I might be wrong.

It might be hard to replicate but there are is a sheet metal plates on each side of the front sump reinforment/guard plate.

and The steering wheel looks a bit wide at the center.

Hi Niels,

I could not find evidence to confirm whether it was only ever 1, or occasionally 2 map pockets. The seats & the covers are interchangable after all. The model map pocket is a separate etch item so it's easy enough to fit one & leave the other one off.

Leaving off the sheet metal plates either side of the sump shield was a deliberate decision on my part. They would be too thin to cast in scale & look un-natural if cast too thick. My Champ never had them fitted anyway : - )

The Steering wheel spokes are brass etch & right on the limit of what could be done. They are already 5 thou. To make the steering wheel in 100% exact scale thickness is impossible, it would be like tin foil.

Regards......Howard @ KFS

Edited by RecyMech

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Howard

you right that RAF Champ has to map pockets, I stand corrected.

Thanks.... now I have to get a second for my champ..

Cheers

I had a Champ once. It had a map pocket on the Driver's seat back but there was never one fitted to the passenger seat as the screw holes were missing. Was the extra pocket a field mod?

Could be a field mod....although under what circumstances & for who/why I dont know. I guess we`ll never know for sure.

Even the guys at the ACOC only have evidence of 3 'in service' examples.

I only included the optional ('optional' as in you don't have to fit it if you dont want to) 2nd map pocket in the kit because if I did`nt someone was bound to pipe up with "ah but did you know some Champs had two map pockets".:D

H

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, just joined the site to find out some more info on the Austin Champ and stumbled across this thread. H, you seem to be every where i look lol.

Anyway, the KFS kit of the Champ is an excellent piece of engineering to be put into kit form and i look forward to starting the build shortly.

Barrie.