1942 Paint

8_10 Brass Cleaner

Question

Right then here goes.

Some of you will have noticed a recent purchase of a 1942 Merryweather Valiant Steam fire/water pump

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?26532-Merryweather-Valiant-Steam-fire-water-pump

As you can see, it needs a coat of paint.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that when found it was painted all over 'Khaki', and I have recently been speaking to an old boy whos employer bought one surplus in the 1950's and used it to wash out Sentinel Steam lorry boilers. He suggests that too was all over 'Khaki'.

Now I've done a bit of digging, both on here and on various other 'fora'.

It appears the specification that applied to military tack up to about 1942 was that it should be supplied in 'Khaki Green' G3. So it would seem logical that it is likely that this contraption was thus painted. Certainly no paint frothers will be able to tell me it is 'wrong'.

Now then, I've found various recipies for 'Khaki Green', 3 bits of this, 2 bits of the other, a BS reference for 'Middle Bronze Green' as BS381C (2)23, and suppliers who will sell me their own take. This is all well and good, my take is that the shades would have varied from batch to batch and all these mixes would be more than accurate.

I have one question, what finish would this paint have been? I have read reference to gloss, is this correct?.

My next problem is heat, mainly due to the fact that there is a fiery furnace inside it, resulting in a steam pressure of 120PSI. Suffice to say it gets rather hot, and the existing green paint on it has suffered on this account. So I am looking for a source of 'Khaki Green' G3 that will take a little heat. Any ideas?

One possible solution is that I have found a source of MoWoG engine enamel, those of you not sure what this means, this is the paint Morris Cars used on their motors etc, eventually enging up on the BMC and some BLMC junk. Whilst going by the description 'Middle Bronze Green' I do not know if it is near enough, but perhaps it could be?. Of course the finish is gloss.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

1 answer to this question