Bedford QL thingy

Roof Over Britain

Hi Folks,

I wonder if anyone can identify the purpose of this aluminium block screwed on to the top surface of the steering column support bracket of my QL. it is approx 2 1/4 inches long X 3/4 wide X 9/16 high (57mm X 19 X 14 if you prefer) is slightly tapered to the top and has two 7/16 UNF tapped holes through it which do not continue through the support bracket. I have not seen this on any other QL I have looked at, although mine was originally a QLR which may or may not have any bearing on the matter.

003 (640x427).jpg

002 (640x427).jpg

004 (640x427).jpg

Hello,

Thats the spark plug holder, all wartime bedfords have them, its not a unf thread, but the "spark plug" thread, i think!! two J8 spark plug should screw in. I have seen them in other QL's.

All the best Rippo

Edited by rippo

Hello,

Found a picture of one on a mw,

Yes as far as i know that is the correct place on a QL, i've seen at least one other with it in the same place. I have not seen any referance to them in the mw handbooks either. They do seem to be missing on a lot of vehicles, but they are an original fitment. the Thread tends to fur up a bit, i don't think they are aluminium, but white metal which seems to corrode very easily.

Rippo

101_1177.jpg