Jacket Overall Green

Eaglehurst

Introduced around 1962 to replace denim BD......often worn as a summer combat rig as an alternative to the heavy green 60 pattern suit......

The trousers to go with this jacket are termed "Trousers, Overall, Green" and are 100% cotton......they are simple in design with button belt loops, fly and a single patch pocket on the outside of the left leg.......the trousers were often worn as a combat trouser where troops couldn't acquire the green denim tropical jungle pants with the crossover-belt waist fastening.....

Collectors may note that the last production of this jacket and trouser were made in olive green polyester/cotton (early 1970's) just prior to the introduction of the lightweight trousers in identical material........

• 1 year later...

002.jpg

I think mine (Size 8, also new, by F. Fryer Ltd) may have a large leg pocket like the combat trousers...? I need to check....

They do !!! Looks like there were two versions then....? These are late manufacture in green poly-cotton as used for the new lightweight trousers (TMLs) and coveralls coming on stream during the early 1970s.........they also have the rear-right patch pocket on the arse, thus are a similar cut and style to the 60 pattern combat trousers.......

001.jpg

Rear right arse pocket is present on the example I have show above.....

Yet another variation on an issue item!

Looks like the left leg pocket was added to late production then Jason......:-D (ps - I got these from WS Surplus in Oxford.......)

Do these have the same variation in sizing as the 1960 Pattern combats (i.e. more restrictive pre-1966)?

Good question ! Never looked into this fully........introduced early 1960s and obsolete by 1971-72..........thus basically a 60s design........but then, these were "overall" garments so may have been sized slightly larger to fit over other layers........? I will need to measure-up the items I have in due course..........

With 60 pattern gear, the combat smock was redesigned by early 61 but the changes didn't enter the manufacturing stream until around 64 going by surviving items today...........the main change was the cut and fit of the sleeve, being widened and the attachment to the body of the smock radically altered and enlarged (main clue with the improved garments is the lack of vents under the armpit and the oval patches on the sleeve elbows......)..............not sure if similar applied to the overall jacket of the same era........