Steel sizes and roller help

mike65

Question

Have decided to build a radio table for mt S3 109, as cannot seem to find one.

Have been emailed the engineering drawings, which are all in feet and inches.

I suspect I am going to end up maing a metric one due to material availability and also to annoy the rivet counters:D

So converting inches to millimeters is easy.

Now the tricky bit the bottom (beneath the ply) is sheet steel described as 18 BG MS PANEL

MS PANEL I am assuming is mild stell panel.

18 BG I am guessing is the thickness, but what is the modern equivalent?

Also does anybody know of a source for roller/wheels synthetic resin 1" 1/8' diameter and 5/8' wide (thats 28.6mm diameter and 16mm wide approx)

Mike

5 answers to this question

Plenty of companies producing components machined from NYLON in various grades (and colours:D). Depending on what and how many you need, this might be best and cheapest option as you can get them bored to the required diameter and no bearing bush required if running straight onto shaft.

Here's just one that I've had great service from: www.devol.com They may pass you over to another company for small batches or one-offs.

18 G is 1.2mm

Adrian

Thanks for that.

Plenty of companies producing components machined from NYLON in various grades (and colours:D). Depending on what and how many you need, this might be best and cheapest option as you can get them bored to the required diameter and no bearing bush required if running straight onto shaft.

Here's just one that I've had great service from: www.devol.com They may pass you over to another company for small batches or one-offs.

Thanks

Only need 4, will ,look into costs.

If to expensive will see if I can come up with an alternative.

Mike

So converting inches to millimeters is easy.

Now the tricky bit the bottom (beneath the ply) is sheet steel described as 18 BG MS PANEL

Mike

Mike,

To be precise

18 BG is 18 Birmingham gauge which is 0.049" thick. Almost imposible now to get.

18 gauge is 0.048" thick. Most companys only stock 1.2mm

18 SWG (standard wire gauge) is 0.048" diamiter.

Andy.