Woodcote Steam Rally

Well this was the first time I've been to this show even though I've lived down the road from it for 8 years.

Saturday I took the Bedford down on my own as the other half was working Sat morning. The weather was fair but pretty warm. There was a good turn out of Military vehicles and we had a very good spot just down from the arena, even closer than the tractors which made a nice change. There was a very big turnout of public both Saturday and Sunday.

I drove home as I only live 20 minutes away. Everything went fine, until that is the next day!! :shocked:

Sunday saw us leave at 08.30 am. I was driving the Bedford and the other half was driving the Defender. I was cooking on gas until about 2 1/2 miles out when all of a sudden the Bedford just shut down. There was no warning, the engine just stopped. I took her out of gear and coasted up to a slip road where the truck was out of the way. I got out and had a look at the fuel tap to see if I left it off, it was on. I then checked the fuel to see if some scroat drained the tank, half full. :cry:

Thank god I had the trusty Defender at my disposal as I never had my tools with me (this is the first time I've left them behind). I drove back home and got the tools. First job was to undo the bleed screw on the FIP. I then pumped the lift pump to see if I was getting any fuel through, nothing. I then removed the fuel filter to see if there was a blockage, no crap in the filter and when I pumped the primer with the filter off no fuel was coming through. It must be the diaphram in the lift pump split. Checked the oil but there was no diesel in it.... This was turning out to be a nightmare. The only option I had was to drive up to the showground and see if someone could help out.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank David Stevens for his outstanding generosity and Keith Orpin for stopping to see if he could help. :tup::

David agreed to follow me back to where I had broken down in his Reo Shop Van even though he was about to enter the arena. His Reo has a winch and thank god, a straight bar. We attached the rear of the Bedford to the rear of my Defender and David drove my Defender while I was in the Bedford. We pulled the Bedford back up the slip road so that it was in the right direction to be towed back to my place. We hooked up the Reo to the Bedford and he straight barred me back home. We then travelled back to the showground, David in his Reo and us in my Defender.

After we got back after an excellent show I removed the fuel lift pump. On opening up the pump expecting to see a knackered diaphram I was shocked to see that one of the one way valves had just fell out of it's housing. So this was why I was not getting any fuel through. The tiny little metal fins that hold the valve in place had snapped off. I also noticed that the gauze filter in the top of the lift pump was very choked with crud.

So I call Dave at Bedford Parts first thing this morning and a new fuel lift pump and fuel filter are on their way, so hopefully I should get them tomorrow.

I can't thank David enough as he saved me a fortune in recovery costs. He refused to take the money I offered for his time and only took enough to cover his fuel. It never ceases to amaze me how helpfull most people are in the hobby. This is the first time since starting shows in 1989 that anything like this has happened. I'm due down at W&P Friday so hopefully the truck will be up and running by then.

So once again a big thank you to David Stevens for getting me out of the brown stuff. Top bloke!!!:bow:

What a top-ho bloke he must be.:)

I used to live very loacally to that show as well for 10 years and also never got there. Always ended up working that week-end. Now I live in Somerset and could not take a vehicle there if I tried. But there again - I never had an ex-military vehicle to take but always had Land-Rovers and old tractors so totally no excuse at all.

Better luck next year:D

What a top-ho bloke he must be.:)

I used to live very loacally to that show as well for 10 years and also never got there. Always ended up working that week-end. Now I live in Somerset and could not take a vehicle there if I tried. But there again - I never had an ex-military vehicle to take but always had Land-Rovers and old tractors so totally no excuse at all.

Better luck next year:D

Thanks mate.

Shame you didn't get down, it really is a good show.

I'm going to need luck, the big test will be on Friday when we travel down to W&P!!