Looking for person with part of email as "theoldgit"

fv1609

Is anybody in contact with an enthusiast who has "theoldgit" in part of the email address? I was in contact with this chap about 5 years ago concerning the guidance system for Orange William missile launcher. Since then the PC died & all the email addresses of the time went with it. But part of it stuck in my mind as being unusual.

Please no funny comments, not that saying that will stop the comedians I know. My message was declined on one MV site as I suppose it sounds a bit like a lonely hearts plea. Clive looking for old git concerning Orange William does sound dodgey I know.

Stupid question but did he have any interest in the 101st Airborne? As I know someone with that user name.

Not a stupid question, although I am sure I will get some!

I don't know & I am not sure quite how we made contact, whether it was on a discussion site or whether he was someone who just contacted me out of the blue. But he was trying to identify some AFV type sites. Maybe you could just contact him & see if there is an enthusiastic response to the mention of Orange William?

The strange thing was there were no FV markings on it, but given guided weapons development was channelled through the Aeronautical Research Council by the Ministry of Supply its not surprising.

These sights have a flipable mirror on the top which makes me think it was Orange William. The missile had to fly 6000yds in all. About 4000yds from the launch vehicle guided ONTO the Ferret with the two controllers then when it passed over head the mirror on the sight flipped over the operator still tracked the missile whilst a second operator tracked the target.

So OW had to fly two sides of a triangle. The risk of OW hitting the ferret was considered to be fairly small. The launch vehicles at various stages considered were Comet, Centurion, funny sort of trailer, Ferret, Land Rover, FV426 or FV1620.

In the end it was to be FV1620 but this was then adapted to be launch vehicle & control post for Malkara which was always the second runner as it was at the time only had a range of 2000yds & NIH (not invented here).

I think it is shameful that the only example of OW was on display at Bovy, occupying very little space, disappeared some years ago. It was probably the rarest thing the museum had in the display & for me the most interesting exhibit. (I do find rows of MBTs so boring)