Modelling

oddball

What scale is the Sherman? Is it the Tamiya 1/16 R/C version. I got one of those many years ago far a birthday. It took a day to build the tracks!!!

I bought a 1/35 scale jeep before buying my actual jeep. The fit in my garage was a bit tight so I wanted to measure the model for a better indication of whether the Jeep would fit next to my trailer.

As you can see below, it did fit.

jeeptrailer.JPG

Steve

Guest bigredone

Hi all

I don’t do modelling very often about once every couple of years, but here a few shots of my efforts from last year. I have yet to make a diorama for them. I can’t get the hang of this picture posting malarkey, they either come out to big or to small...aaaarg!! :x

P1040070.jpgP1040071.jpgP1040067.jpgP1040079.jpgP1040076.jpgP1040075.jpg

Paul

1-16-I

Guest bigredone
They're nice Paul, I've got a half finished deuce here at the moment (bit like Jack really) :lol:

Are they straight out of the box or did you use any of the fine detail add on kits?

Straight out of the box Oddball, we have not got any good old fashioned model shops round here anymore and boy are they expensive for what they are, I try and pick them up cheap at fairs. I have waiting in the wings a International halftrack from Ebay, cant bring myself to do it as I dont think they make them anymore. Brought another jeep the other day from Heller, nice picture on the front but the model inside is based on a Hotchkiss even down to the oblong side mirror and wiper motor with windscreen rests on the top of the windscreen! Tried to contact them but I could not find a website.

Paul

1-16-I

Tim i am just about to make the Tamiya 1/35th M8 Greyhound...

Hi Lloyd

It's Paul (bigredone) that's made the greyhound, not me.............I've got a deuce, weapons carrier, command car & two jeeps to finish before I think about any armour :)

Hi Tim..Paul sure made a good job of the one in the picture.....

I just love M8s...i will make the 1/35th scale Tamiya one then when the divorce and house finances are sorted out i will move up to a

1/1th scale one..................:-)

So did you use the photo etch kits or any add ons by Royal for the kit ??

Regards

Lloyd

Guest bigredone

Just for you Lloyd

P1040111.jpgP1040110.jpgP1040109.jpgP1040108.jpgP1040107.jpgP1040088.jpg

Straight out of the box, Tamiya 1/35 with no extras. Could not get a picture of the inside of the turret and have not done the Commander as yet. I made the inside as mucky as I could.

Regards

Paul

1-16-I

Brilliant modelling Paul looks almost real....aint they GREAT..... 8)

They are even better close up in 1/1th scale.....if i could host/post pics i would.

Do you want an Acme Anally retentive type 1 mark 1 moment ??

actually Colbert was NOT C -30 Colbert was C-36 Conan was C-30

The 82nd Recon took the "C" Tactical nicknames from local towns and Villages around the area where they trained prior to being shipped overseas.

I really gotta get out more :oops:

Regards

Lloyd

• 2 years later...

Week before last, Wor Lass was scrolling through the channels and I spotted the word "Airfix" so I got her to press Record.

It turns out that late in 2006 somebody bought all the Airfix dies (yes ALL of them, all the way back to the doyen, the Spitfire IX) which had been left to rust in a warehouse in France.

They decided they could resurrect the company, but they needed a killer business plan to create a niche in the Playstation generation. They went to the BBC and asked for a licence to release Doctor Who and the Tardis in time for Christmas 2007.

BBC would not approve the prototype castings and dragged their feet and dragged their feet. All plastic kits are manufactured in China today, so Airfix had to go to a manufacturer with only a concept, and had to hawk the boxes around toy store to convince them to stock them for Christmas with literally just the boxes.

The programme finished bang up to date and showed a single delivery of 2000 Doctor Who kits on the shelf in a single shop (it might have been Hamleys). There would be no more this side of Christmas.

Then last Sunday I went into town and there in a craft shop I saw a Doctor Who and the Tardis construction kit ... made by the BBC. No wonder they dragged their feet to the point of bankrupting the renascent Airfix: they wanted it all for themselves. That sort of corporate malpractice makes me mad.

Its a shame the people from Airfix decided to pick that item to relaunch their company , In hind site they should have done something else but I m not a forecaster of the future.

Have you seen these remote control scale model trucks by Tamiya ? here's a link

I thought if they could put all that detail into a civilian truck what about doing something like a CCKW , I did write them but was told marketing decisions are made in Japan and when I wrote there they said they had no plans to do such things. Who knows that could change some year ?