Furthest into Dieppe?

Pzkpfw-e

This has been asked and answered before -15 churchills + 1 dingo got over the beach and cruised the promenade at Dieppe try referencing my post in;-

Dingo under new ownership post#10 10-7-2010

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?10966-Dingo-under-new-ownership&highlight=churchills+dieppe

and the thread

Dieppe posted 19-8-2010

Eddy8mens post #4

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?20215-Dieppe&highlight=dieppe

there's quite a lot on dieppe on the Forum try typing dieppe into the search box

Steve

Edited by steveo578
addition links to refs.

i bet you knew it wouldn't be long before i put my penneth worth's in, so here goes.

the churchill is my personal favourite the more i look into it the more i like it, a very much underated tank that has been labelled as unreliable and out dated yet it still performed all the way through the war and even at the end still gave the crews a better chance of survivability than any other british tank.

i was in touch with a chap recently that crewed a mk4 churchill through tunisia and never had a problem mechanically even after covering a 1000 miles (that's good going even by today's standards). i think the dieppe raid unfairly put the churchill in a bad light after the war, which is odd as the canadian crews swore by them and were totally sold on the tank.

eddy

Hi Rick

Yep that's why I put your Dieppe thread post#4 up:D glad to see you're acquiring parts for the Churchill.

eddy8men

.......which is odd as the canadian crews swore by them and were totally sold on the tank.

Probably the reason the Canadians went over to the Sherman for active service was more to do with dis-satisfaction with the 6pdr gun- I am sure that troopers were happier with better layout and heavier armour of the Churchill but I think the decision to field in Shermans was a higher level -corps level decision -it's like the end of a "Bridge to Far" when the Staff officers blamed anyone and anything but themselves, as I said elsewhere it was difficult for the Staff to get a proper briefing on how the Churchill behaved at Dieppe as all but 2 of the crews were captured or dead.

Hope the gearbox is Ist class

Steve