M35A2 vs. M35A3 In Snow and Ice

glcaines

We have about 10 inches of snow on ice here. I have a lot of experience driving M35 trucks with conventional NDTs in winter conditions, both in the U.S. and in Germany while stationed with the 3rd Armored Division in 1970-71. I have owned my own M35A2 for over a year now and just recovered a new M35A3 last Monday. I have been out playing in the snow today in both trucks (sorry, no photos). The A2 did reasonably well in the snow, and much better with chains as I remember from my Army days. However, comparing the A2 and A3 in the snow is like comparing apples and oranges. The A3 is substantially better in the snow and on ice than the A2. I could not stick the A3. Most of the time I didn't need the front axle engaged. The Allison transmissiion also helped the A3 as it is smoother starting off.

The difference was so significant, I immediately parked the A2 and continued playing with the A3. I drove it to town and found a hill that a Ford F-250, GMC pickup and a Jeep Wrangler couldn't climb as the snow had compacted to ice. All were 4X4 with limited slip rear axles on the pickups (don't know about the Jeep). I went up the hill with zero slippage. I then went down the hill with no slippage. I then re-climbed the hill with the front axle disengaged and had some minor slippage but still made it up the hill.

I then found a large parking lot and practiced donuts on the ice with the A3. Not much fun as it didn't slide very well. I came back with the A2 and slid all over the place. If you WANT to slide around a lot, use the A2! After returning home, I found a hill with a 3-foot drift at the bottom. I didn't try it in the A2, but the A3 simply pushed on through and climbed up the hill.

Obviously, the key difference is in the tires. The M35A3 has 14.5 R20 Michelin X singles and the M35A2 is running 9.00 X 20 NDCCs. I still have a problem, however, as I really like both trucks. I really prefer the A2 on the highway over the A3 for the stability and higher top speed.

NDTs suck at everything. The have little contact on the outer lip of the tire.. the only real contact you have is on the center rib and then that is basically a slick tire about 2 inches wide.

Other than 'the look' NDTs are not that good in dry, wet, mud, snow, ice.

Some have said that siping the tires helps allot, but that's a ton of work unless you feel like doing each tire by hand... wait, that's still a lot of work.

There is a reason NDTs fell out of favor with the current class of Army transporters.

Much as I hate to say it, I'd rather keep the NATO treads on my CCKW that move to NDTs.

My M35 will probably keep NDTs unless I can get a cheaper civvy all weather tread for it. But I doubt I can get civvy tires at NDT surplus prices.