VM's loosing their wheels (& tracks) maybe?

Discussion. Are the Americans are going away from the wreckers being used for repair duties - lifting etc., using them for recovery only - both wheeled (medium - MTVR and Heavy - M984__) and armoured (M88), by replacing the 'motor pool shop sets' with the M7FRS (Forward Repair System), which is a portable palletized shop set, "with its on-board crane, air compressor, 30 kilowatt (TQG) tactical quiet generator, welder and full compliment of diagnostic and hand tools"...(tools alone estimated at $250000 - and yes, mostly 'Snap-on')

FRS3.jpg

Up and running in 5 minutes off the back of a PLS HEMTT (DROPS), is it possible that we'll go the same way?

Will this increase the divide between VM's and RecyMech's...

The new M.A.N SV® has a bigger capacity crane than the HEMTT but if the crane isn't needed for pack changes....

FRS-Crane.jpg

I'll leave the speculation to the pro's in the field, though I can't see all jobs waiting for the DROPS truck to show up to get a repair done.

FRS6.jpg

I guess all the spare/servie parts are in another palletized unit, but what about metalsmithing equipment etc. I'll stand corrected by anyone more 'up on things' and 'in the know'.

there is a place for both, one for rapid response in a difficult zone and one for a more leisurely repair in the back up areas....it will be interesting to see how this goes...shame we can't build enough machines to actually forget about repairs and just hand the broken ones to us collectors...