Things can get out of hand so quickly

rbrtcrowther

Just pottering around youtube and found this. Having spent about 13 years operating cranes in boat yards ect, I always find video like this brings home how quickly things can get out of hand. It appears the crane was not brought over by the weight of the load but the counter weight going over the side with the combined weight of the almost fully elevated jib. Even with the mats it went over backwards. Just listen to the Slew motor screaming as the super structure swings round. :shocked:Something went wrong... Perhaps a little more ground preperation might have been in order:blush:

I often have to crane boats out on dock walls ect. Some of the dock walls are built and rated for such operation others are....well ......rather crumbly. So we sit there thinking "that boat is really heavy i need to get right up close but hang on that harbour wall looks really rubbish i need to stay away from the edge.....Great....here we go again:banghead:"

Oh dear ! Very dangerous job crane operating judging by the number of accident videos on Youtube Rob ! I had a 7.5 ton lorry lift two wheels off the ground once unloading some fencing as I extended the crane with the jacks not fully extended trying to help the customer out ! NEVER GONER DO THAT AGAIN :nut: ! Proper cheek clamping moment ! Luckily I could lower the load instantly and safely ! It is strange how everything seems to change to slow motion while your brain catches up with your arse ! I've always found the Fire Brigades instruction to crews if a hydraulic platform begins to tip over rather amusing ! Gather as many personel as available to sit on the lorry on the opposite side ! I can just see that happening ! :D Anyway Rob you stay safe and have a good Christmas mate !

There's not alot you can do with the larger cranes cos they move to slowly even at full throttle. Also seem to end up grabbing every lever except the one you want:nut:

It's just dumped a load of snow here so will be out playing in the landy for a few days, Have a good one and post some more pics of the scammell Andy:cool2: