Painting a gmc

warrior

About 5 gallons (appox 10l) sounds right to start with. 2 gallons for primer and the rest OD.

I would expect to have a gallon or two left over. Typically I thin 25-40% with xylene (depending how fast I want it to dry) so you are really going to have more paint than you start with).

A jeep uses less than a gallon.

Two coats of primer (I used red oxide enamel, some folks go for epoxy based) and 2-3 coats of OD and thin the last one out really good for a flat finish.

While the factory may have made batches of 100+ gallons at a time, I see absolutely no need for 'matched' paint.

There are plenty of factory pics of just off (and many still on) the assembly line with runs, sags and variations.

While today many go overboard with epoxy paint, and trying to match tints and shades, the reality was that most opened the can(s) and started spraying.

Army Motors (the real one, not the MVPA one) had extensive painting and prep articles (as well as paint care) to address these issues.

I have several issues of Army Motors available for download at http://www.tm9-801.com/ArmyMotors/index.php