Colt SAA Replica 'For a Few Dollars More'

Hawk

Hi chaps,

I would like to get a replica of the revolver used by Clint Eastwood in 'For a Few Dollars More', after some research I've discovered I'm after a Colt Single Action Army 5 1/2" Artillery model. Ideally I'd like it to have the Scorpion grips as seen in the film.

If anyone has any links or knows where I can find one it would be much appreciated.

I've also been reading that because the original design of the revolver is pre 1870, the replica can be owned without membership of a reenactment group. Could anyone clarify this?

Many Thanks,

Luke

23. Section 38 defines a 'realistic imitation firearm' as an imitation firearm which has an appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm. 'Imitation firearm' is defined in section 57(4) of the Firearms 1968 as 'any thing which has the appearance of being a firearm...whether or not it is capable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile'.

The term 'real firearm' is defined in section 38(7) as either a firearm of an actual make or model of a modern firearm, or a generic modern firearm. The term 'modern firearm' is defined in subsection 8 as a firearm other than one whose appearance would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating before 1870.

The effect of this definition is that realistic imitations of pre-1870 firearms are not caught by the new offence

Source http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/home-office-circulars/circulars-2007/031-2007/

Thats my interpretation of it anyway........

Anything which has the apperance of being firearm. - A full size copy of a Colt SAA would definitley have the apperance of being a firearm. Bare in mind many of the modern Rigbys or Rugers have a close resembalance to the Colt. Daft thing is the real ones could qualify for obscure or obsolete cartridge. Best advice would be contact some organisation such as the Sportsman Asscociation or the N.S.R.A. they have full paid legal egles working full time on such questions.