Fv432 Pack Lift W&P 2009

Marmite!!

Many thanks for posting those. Enjoyed very much indeed. Have assisted the 'A' Mechs in many a pack lift back in the 70s, both Chieftain & 432....but always from the 'clean end' of a Leyland Martian jib :cool2:

Thanks again for the flashbacks.

H

Must confess I did`nt really do a whole lot with the AEC after leaving the UK for BAOR.

Did my HGV 2 in a Mk3 Miltant wrecker, so drove it quite a bit obviously (nice drive).

Trained on it on slab common along with the Leyland.....not much jib work involved there though, mainly winching & cross country suspend tows.

Only ever got to use 1 more AEC while in Germany & that was because the Martian was laid up waiting for parts.

For me though I found the Martian a delight to work with as far as the crane & winch are concerned. It had a very good reach & was a nice stable platform. You could creep the controls, which was a real bonus for the A mechs when inching a pack back in. They would always prefer to work with the Leyland rather than the 434 (up inner-down outer & all that stuff)

I also felt very isolated when winching from the cab of the AEC, could`nt really see what was going on down the business end on the rope. Whereas standing operating the winch from the back deck of the Martian I felt 'part of the job'. You could also watch the winch drum from there & make sure it was all paying back in properly....the AEC I recall gave some problems with slack coils & coils coming off the drum if you did`nt get things operated in the right order.

Just my memories mind.:D

H

Ah - happy memories.

Cheers for putting up Lee.

We used a Militant in the end due to it having the ability to boom in and out.

We measured up the Ward crane and it would have reached but as it doesn't possess the ability to boon in and out - so we decided against it.

I would suggest any crane is only as good as the operator and ours was pretty good. I think his name was Steve - but it was 18 months ago.

Markheliops