Bedford MJ body

ACH

Question

I've picked up a Bedford MJ body off ebay for my RL, went to collect it today, whilst stripping it down for transport and noticed that it had mesh sheets on the roof covered with rubber and then a green nylon looking sheet and then the tarporlyn on top of that. Was this just to stop the roof sagging or to stop projectiles coming through?

8 answers to this question

Sounds like it mite of been an ex REME fitter truck, we have a similar set up on our new fitter truck now and had it on our old MJ although we removed everything, cant say everyone will have, all it was for is insulation for the long winter ex's, as we have 2 bunkbeds in the truck so wouldnt want to have a cold bed eh

Ours just has the standard aluminium board roof with chequerplate anti-slip material around the edge. It shouldn't sag unless you put lots of weight on it...ours came with a warning to keep to the walkway painted on the centre of the roof ;-)

I'm not too keen on climbing it anyway, you're a good 10ft in the air!

Stone

Is that all it was for? I thought it was going to be something like 'no it's to stop people dropping bricks off bridges onto the top of the truck'.:nut:

I think I've been suffering from an over active imagination.

They do a winter lining kit for Landrovers, do they do the same for the trucks, not that I want one, I'm just curious.

I have never come across one, i doubt they would as the cab is seperat to the bed and as a general rule people are not ment to sleep in the back, i think because of H&S and also they are often full of kit. we always build up a storage and bunk beds with incorporated storage so we can fit in, the new 6t sv's give us a little more room than the 4t bedfords. i think its only the REME and some stackers that get away with sleeping in the backs of there trucks.

Atleast if you fit beds in now noone can say anything because your returning it to what it was like when in service, have some pics of the back of a fitter truck somewhere will try to find them and post them for you