l/r 90 ffr 24v alternator

Hi all,

silly question but here goes, my l/r is charging on 24v for the radio batteries but after looking at the 24v alternator there seems to be a spare wire in the area of the back of the alternator.

my question is how many wires should be connected this one has two connected 1x large and 1x small wire with 1xsmall hanging

wonder what you guys have on yours

martin

The circuit diagram shows only 2 wires. The thick output that goes to a 50A fuse & a thin wire (brown with yellow trace) going to the 24v ignition warning relay. What are the colours of the loose wire? That should give some clue as to its purpose.

I'm afraid by the time you answer this I will be at W&P.

Hi Clive

not sure and i cant check until the 5th aug when i return home from sea, what got me wondering was that the ampmeter only shows a few amps and after looking around i noticed the third wire with a spade terminal on it.

i soon as i get back ill post the wire colours and see if you can help, hope you enjoy w&p

Martin

• 1 month later...

Hi Clive sorry for the delay working away and all that, any way the main thick wire is connected to one pin and the brown with yellow trace goes to another separate terminal, there is a brown and whit wire that i assuming is for the dash warning light as this is not working and i am also assuming that it is connected to the same terminal as the thick output wire.

what do you think

thanks Martin

there is a brown and whit wire that i assuming is for the dash warning light as this is not working

Yes

i am also assuming that it is connected to the same terminal as the thick output wire.

No, although it would work, it just depends if someone has removed the ammeter & shunt. The route for this wire is as you say from the ignition warning light, but it is fed by resistors that are fed by the same coloured wires from the ignition warning light relay & the ignition warning light blackout relay.

At the junction of the resistors & the ignition warning light feed there is a same coloured wire that goes to the -ve side of the ammeter & then on to the -ve side of the shunt.

So your loose wire is one of these. Do you still have the ammeter & shunt fitted?

I see the Data Summary rates this at 90A. I know the S3 was rated at 90A but that was to deliver the requirements for the vehicle as well as the radios. But here this 24v alternator is an auxiliary source exclusively for the radios, but I see the main fuse for this is only rated at 50A:???

Ideally I would suggest tracing the route of this wire back. This colour combination is used by other parts of the loom so identifying the same colours may not be sure fire. I have a cable tracer that injects a RF signal down a particular wire, holding a receiver/bleeper allows the wire to be followed even when it is buried in a loom.

Try to see what else other than the generator lies within the radius of reach of this wire. I am particularly thinking of both 24v ignition warning light relays & the 24v ignition warning light blackout relay.

If it is not within reach of these I imagine it would go to the -ve side of the shunt/ammeter junction. It shouldn't go to the alternator as it must go to the 24v supply after the fuse.

If all else fails it is certainly tempting to diagnostically connect the wire via say a 1A fuse to the the 24+ terminal of the radio batteries. Then see if the warning light comes on & goes out with charging.

I have a lot of 2320-D-122 AESPs & FAESPs. There is disappointing coverage on the 24v system although there is some detailed alternator fault finding.