Sand / Media Blasting - Good idea?

Wolfy

Folks,

I need to get my Jeep body prepped for welding etc.

I have heard some horror stories of sand blasting ruining the metal and pitting it. Are these stories common??

What do people recommend for body prep like this? I did all the chassis prep myself with an angle grinder and wire wheels but its too long and painful to do it again.

Can anyone rcommend anywhere in the Home counties / West London area?

I dont know if the damage is common but it can happen if the operator useds too coarse a media and too high a pressure its possible to warp thin gauge metal panels and depending on how rusted or thinned by corrosion to make a panel look like swiss cheese .

I d think if you get a name or two from others who have hired someone and been pleased with the results you should be ok . imo

I have had a lot of things blasted over the years, from Ferret wings and bins to CVRT and Bedford parts and more recently my M151A2 body. The result you get back depends on what you start with, and how good your blaster is. If there is rust or filler in the body, it will be removed and you will end up with holes. The person doing the blasting should adjust the pressure and technique to ensure that thin panels aren't warped. When I had CVRT bins (made from aluminium) blasted they came back with a rough surface fnish. I rubbed them down with some fine sand paper before painting, and they came out ok.

I don't know anyone in your area though.

Chris

Its a grand idea but just dont forget that the material goes absolutely everywhere and needs to be cleaned very thoroughly.

Technique and pressure is everything as is the media used.

Dont forget glass will become opaque and that the media is everywhere.

We have a vehicle that was sand blasted, lenses for headlights were nailed, bins full of sand even after painting, the level of care shown on that vehicle being put together before we purchased it is awful, this is just a small part of the nightmare it continues to be.

R