Restoration

jockaneese

Question

Hi Laddies and Lassies,

I'm due to undertake a nice bit of restoration on a softskin vehicle.

Having never done this type of work i was wondering the best order to do things.

is it just a case of strip into component parts,

then do the sand/glass/soda blasing, paint parts, then add the working parts, so to speak...

I'm going to be after some generic metal parts such as steel angle, "steel basket/cage" material, any help in sourcing these would also be great.

Cheers for reading...

M

5 answers to this question

Maybe I am a flowchart kind of guy but I like to map out the steps I am going to take...... but at least you can see your progress and what you need each step.

I tried software this time but never felt right.... Also take heaps of photos as later on you will be asking how does this bit go back in.

oops almost forgot be paitient, if a bolt or screw dont come out, leave it and battle with it later.

My flowchart... more filled in boxes now but revision 8 :nut:

[ATTACH]29938[/ATTACH]

keeping all your disassembled pieces in some type of order is also a must. You can use, boxes, tins, bags etc. All sounds obvious but this was just posted in another forum I am in and I thought it was very clever as he has hung the bags on a board.

http://lightweightlandroverclub.org/phpbb/download.php?id=1946&f=8

a better idea than digging through boxes of stuff looking for some 'special' bolt, pin etc.

I suggest you follow the method a friend of mine uses. I know I should do it but never do!!

Leave vehicle whole, put it under a sheet after taking off one part (eg starter motor or bonnet {that is hood to US readers!}, it does not matter what bit you start with.

Keep all bolts, brackets etc with it and restore that one part, cleaning, painting, new wires maybe, new bearings etc.

Pack up the part along with instructions, pictures, notes etc in a dust and moisture proof box.

Put it on the shelf.

Get another part off, do the same.

Eventually, you end up with a hull/chassis/frame etc. Restore that.

Then go into the "stores" and put back the now apparently brand new part that you took off last, then the next to last etc until the stores are empty.

You have finsished!

Luckily, having done it this way, the re-assembly is only done once, takes a very short time and is an absolute joy!

Take lots of photos, notes etc. as it comes apart. However simple it looks, you will not remember when it's time to put it back together. Name and file the photos (assuming digital) so you can find them again

As others have said, pack and label everything you've taken off carefully, with fasteners, brackets etc.

Use labels that will not have faded / fallen off / absorbed oil or otherwise become unreadable by the time you put it back together.

Early on, list the bits you know you'll have to replace and start looking. With luck, they'll come along at sensible money before you're stuck without them.

If you have to destroy something to get things apart, make sure it's the cheapest and most easily available bit.

As you go along, look, think and plan ahead.

The major units will go back in quickly and you'll feel like you're flying along. The minor parts will be fiddly and feel like they're taking for ever; you will work all day, then look at the vehicle and feel as though you have done nothing. Don't get disheartened.

Get a manual for the vehicle if you can.

Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Take your time and if something's not going right, walk away and come back to it later.

Steel sections are readily available from steel stockholders or, if small amounts, fabricators, engineering shops or scrappies, but probably only metric; replacing imperial can be problematic for certain sections. Fabricators and engineers will also be useful for making little bits and brackets.

Oil seals, gasket material and bearings are often available for older vehicles off the shelf from bearing and power transmission suppliers but you'll have to ask for them by size - they won't know or care that it's a wheel bearing for a GMC or whatever.

Paint is readily available from motor factors or industrial paint suppliers if you know what colour you want (BS or RAL colours, paint code or take a bit that hasn't had the sun or oil on it for a match).

Put lots of photos in the show it off / vehicle restoration forum!!

Good luck!