Leyland Drops

Bran D

Hi, I have recently purchased a leyland drops, and am starting to prepare it for registration and MOT. I see some of you have experience of these in service so would like to know how efficient the air susytem is. My old foden LMLC has a 2 cylinder compressor and seems somewhat slow to moderate in its speed in building up air from empty. The Drops has a single cylinder compressor and seems to take ages to build up to anything over 5 bar. I dont have any obvious leaks now so am suspicious that the compressor valves may need a bit of tlc. Before I strip the cylinder head can you advise on your opinions on its air performance. I know its very subjective about how quick they are to build up air but would like some other opinions. Do they hold there air very long?

many thanks

i have never driven one regulally only the one we purchased. I agree it does seem slow to build up air. But there is a lot of reservoirs to fill. But having said that a lot of modern vehicles take an age if starting with MT tanks. I think a better view to take is can it with heavy shunting about with out dropping its air ours seems fine.

Question for you whats the steering like ours when stationary feels as though nothing is working. Move forwards or backward only a fraction of an inch and its perfect. Have been out to recover perhaps 20 of them for MOD but all have had dead engines so havent driven one can compare with. Drivers of vehicles say they are all like it But to me when staionary with a few revs on should a least be able to wobble steering wheel.

i have never driven one regulally only the one we purchased. I agree it does seem slow to build up air. But there is a lot of reservoirs to fill. But having said that a lot of modern vehicles take an age if starting with MT tanks. I think a better view to take is can it with heavy shunting about with out dropping its air ours seems fine.

Question for you whats the steering like ours when stationary feels as though nothing is working. Move forwards or backward only a fraction of an inch and its perfect. Have been out to recover perhaps 20 of them for MOD but all have had dead engines so havent driven one can compare with. Drivers of vehicles say they are all like it But to me when staionary with a few revs on should a least be able to wobble steering wheel.

I can do a lot of shunting and the air does not trip the stop light. however the guage will be just above the 5 bar red sector. Gauge 1 never goes above above 2.5 bar, although the stop light goes out. I will look at the pressure transducers, maybe one of those is faulty.

The steering is very good on mine. On tickover I can turn the steering easiliy from lock to lock.