Contacted US Army For M35A2 History

glcaines

I contacted the U.S. Army 103rd Engineer Battalion a few days ago about my M35A2, a 1969 Kauser Jeep w/winch. I was switched between several people until I finally got hold of a Major Chuck Kim on the phone. He was initially suspicious when I started asking questions, but I finally convinced him I didn't have any nefarious intent. He was very helpful with the numbers on the truck. He also forwarded me a write-up of the history of the unit the truck had been assigned to. He was familiar with my specific truck and was fascinated that I had bought it. We had a fairly lengthy conversation about M35A2s and my time in the Army driving them in the early 70s in Germany. Between what I found on the internet on my own and numbers I unearthed on the bumpers, there were discrepancies. Everything is now clear, at least as far as the most recent numbers on the bumper go. Who knows what I'll find when I did deeper into the multiple layers of paint. The problem was that the truck had been transferred from the 28th Infantry Division to the 213th ASG, when the 103rd Engineer Battalion was transferred, which was missing from everything I found on the internet.

Nice one Gary. Glad they helped you out.

I emailed RAF Lossiemouth about my Defender. It was with 51 Squadron, RAF Regt in the first Gulf War and I wanted some info on it, but they couldn't even be bothered to reply.:mad:

I was lucky in that I reached someone that was willing to help, and was in fact very interested that I had purchased a vehicle from his unit. It was also only about 11 months since my vehicle was on active duty with the Army, so not a lot of time had passed.

I don't know how far you are located from 51 Squadron, RAF Regiment, but if it isn't far you can likely find some men in the local pub from the unit that might advise you on who to talk to.

I was lucky in that I reached someone that was willing to help, and was in fact very interested that I had purchased a vehicle from his unit. It was also only about 11 months since my vehicle was on active duty with the Army, so not a lot of time had passed.

I don't know how far you are located from 51 Squadron, RAF Regiment, but if it isn't far you can likely find some men in the local pub from the unit that might advise you on who to talk to.

I'm affraid they are located in Scotland and I'm in Southern England.