Bedford MW Rifle Brackets

hello alex,

This is the best picture have, it's basically two wooden blocks with in slots for the rifle buts, bolted to an angled plate which bolts to the floor. The top of the rifle is held by an arm, which comes out drom the back of the cab, at about 45 degrees, with two ear plates on with the standard rifle clip on.

I have got some drawings somewhere, if you P.M. you email i'll send them over to you.

I'm having some of the wooden blocks made at the local joinery shop, when i get them i'll stick a picture up.

000_0188.jpg

Edited by rippo

hello Alex,

I've missplaced my drawings but i'm sure i'll come across them soon!! If i can't i'll do some more off the parts i've got and send them over to you, here's some pictures to be going on with,

This is the arm from the back of the cab, i'm just missing the ear plates to hold the rifle clips. On caruthers the ear plate are welded onto the arm, the one i copied was from an aeroscreen bedford and was bolted together, i've seen them done both ways. So neithers wrong, but his arm dose look a bit shorter than mine.

Some original wooden blocks mounted on the floor.

The base of the pocket in the wooden block isn't parrallel to the top edge of the wooden block, you can see it in this picture, i'm not sure why this is, but the three sets i have are all the same. Also you can see the plate the blocks are attached to is welded to the floor, but there are also two holes at the front edge of the plate that aren't used in this case. The two holesare for when a wooden floor was fitted to the cab and then you could bolt it down. These two holes were still in my floor and lined up prefectly with the plate i got. I just show's there was some planning behind using "whatever they had on the day".

100_1515.jpg

100_1517.jpg

100_1516.jpg

100_1518.jpg

Edited by rippo

Qoute:

The base of the pocket in the wooden block isn't parrallel to the top edge of the wooden block, you can see it in this picture, i'm not sure why this is,

This is done deleberately, If you stand a Lee Enfield Rifle upright verticaly. You will observe that the base of the Buttplate is sloped. To that end the internal base of the mounting block is sloped to accomodate this & support the Weapon correctly.

When installing the blocks to the metal plate, ensure that you have installed them CORRECTLY round the right way!!! :-D

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hello Rippo,

I'm Danny P from the Netherlands and bought a Bedford mwd in Belgium 2011. I started restoration end of 2011. It is progressing slowly because it is my first british car and I'm trying to find out how to tackle the job. So I'm new to the forum and did not post an introduction yet. However, I saw your message on the forum about the arm of the rifle bracket. I do have the clips but are missing the arm and ears. So, will it be possible to send me the measurements to copy the arm and ears. It is not how one would start the restoration but collecting data at an early stage may beneficial at a later stage.

Regards,

Danny P

hello Alex,

I've missplaced my drawings but i'm sure i'll come across them soon!! If i can't i'll do some more off the parts i've got and send them over to you, here's some pictures to be going on with,

[ATTACH]29025[/ATTACH]

This is the arm from the back of the cab, i'm just missing the ear plates to hold the rifle clips. On caruthers the ear plate are welded onto the arm, the one i copied was from an aeroscreen bedford and was bolted together, i've seen them done both ways. So neithers wrong, but his arm dose look a bit shorter than mine.

[ATTACH]29022[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29023[/ATTACH]

The base of the pocket in the wooden block isn't parrallel to the top edge of the wooden block, you can see it in this picture, i'm not sure why this is, but the three sets i have are all the same. Also you can see the plate the blocks are attached to is welded to the floor, but there are also two holes at the front edge of the plate that aren't used in this case. The two holesare for when a wooden floor was fitted to the cab and then you could bolt it down. These two holes were still in my floor and lined up prefectly with the plate i got. I just show's there was some planning behind using "whatever they had on the day".

[ATTACH]29024[/ATTACH]

Hello Rippo,

My name is Danny P from the Netherlands. I bought a bedford mwd in belgium last year. I started restoration end of 2011.

It is progressing very slow as I'm trying to find out how to tackle the job. I never restored a british wwii truck. Maybe one would not start his restoration with a rifle bracket but collecting some data for the later stage will be beneficial. Therefore I have the question to you if it would be possible to send me the measurements of the arm and ears of the rifle bracket? Would be great getting an answer as this is my first message to the forum!

kind regards,

Danny

hello Alex,

[ATTACH]29025[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29022[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29023[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29024[/ATTACH]

• 3 months later...
Hello Danny,

Yes, i can put some drawings up, looks like Alex might still be waiting too, sorry mate. What year is your bedford?

Regards Rippo

Hello Rippo,

I'm sorry for my late reply but I focussed on the restoration of my bedford mw. However, the chassis number is 66674 which is 1945 production, according to Richard Farrant (read it on the Forum). I checked it with the data on the shock absorbers which are all stamped 4-45. I also found a data plate on the dash with a V.M. contract number S ?216. I found the contract number 294/23/S8216 in the "Bedford authorised service parts" book. The number in the book is almost at the end of the list which implies end of the war production?

I'm still interested in the measurements of the bracket and ears to fit the rifle clips. So I will be grateful if you could send me some drawings! By the way, is the bracket of an early MW different than the bracket of a late MW.

Regards Danny (The Netherlands)