FFR wings

mike65

Question

Another stupid question.

Have removed the durbar plating from the front wings of my S3 109 FFR.

Worked out waht most thinks are except for one hole in the top of the wing which would be just in frunt of the TUAAM box.

There is one on each side, drivers side has a grommit in it.

For clarity it is the large hole not the ones which used to hold the durbar in place.

Are they for a purpose or should I just fill them in?

Mike

wing hole.jpg

10 answers to this question

Hi mike,

i,m inclined to think that they are simply mounting points for wing mirrors. I have just been looking

at page 94 of my copy of " the military half ton land rover " which shows a civilian swb series 3 ,

modified for military use , which seems to show the mounting points in roughly the same positions.

The only other possibilty i can think of , is perhaps for mounting earlier larkspur radio boxes or

running cables or aerial leads into the larkspur boxes.

Sorry i can,t be of more help.

Regards

steve.

I have thee recessed cable boxes and as far as I can work out the two cables came out of this and across wing tops some how.

I have just been and double checked.

The only way to o this would be to take the cable out of the box, through the entry hole, feed through the inner wing and then up through the holes. All require removal of connector cap.

Mind you this brings me to another thought. How are cables routed to TUAAM over wing? Are they fixed or just left loose?

Pics added of what I have to work with.

Mike

cable box.jpg

wing lh.jpg

Hi mike,

the holes in your wings , containing the cables ,would have been covered by a hinged flap which

would have been screwed/bolted through the small holes at the rear of the cable hole. At the top

edge of the flap , which if i remember right was usually rounded over like a tombstone , you would

have two " twist ,n, lock" fasteners to secure the flap down to the wing. The cables when not

being used, would be tucked away under the fastened down flap. The flap was of pressed metal with

a raised portion in the middle that the cables were run through when connected to the tuaam box.

The flap could then be fastened down without trapping the cables. The aerial leads should come out of the bottom of the wing box , be fastened to the inner wing then make their way along the

chassis, emerging through the floor in the back of the rear body, either as loose leads with

connectors on or as in the case of my lightweight , the leads were fitted to secure aerial fittings on the top edge of the bulkhead behind the seats. The leads do not come out anywhere

else on the wings. You are definitely missing the flaps on the wings. It may be worth joining the

"ex-military land rover association" or have a look at their website. They also have radio gear for sale at times.

Hope this helps

steve.

Hi mike,

i,ve just found a couple of photos showing the wing flap and the aerial leads and fittings

behind the bulkhead on my lightweight. They may be of use to you.

Send me a pm with your home e-mail address and i,ll send them to you. Sorry but i still haven,t

worked out how to send them on here.

Steve