WANTED! Dodge WC51 Weapons Carrier

richard hulme

Agreed that £5500 is top money for a WC Dodge......my contact who i have gotten 3 x WC s from now are normally in the £2500-£3000 range....need cosmetic work but mechanically very good.

My WC55 (52) ,Caras WC63 and my friend Andys WC52 were all in need of paint and canvas ,cosmetics and very minor tidying mechanics but were all driveable in fact we drove my WC from the docks at Newcastle to Bedford on delivery with NO work being done to it apart from fluid checks at the dock side.

But as Jeeps are creeping up in price...so are WCs as people are looking for alternatives

Regards

Lloyd

I say steady on chaps! otherwise they will be too expensive by the time I am ready for one. :(

I will cut you a deal on mine :wink:

Wanting is one thing, having is another :( but I think Lloyd makes a good point about the Jeep Dodge correlation.

Thanks Jack but it is true you think about it as a good Jeep is now £9K-£10K and a show piece Jeep is £13K the humble weapons carrier or Dodge ambulance has leapt up in price.

I can remember the days of £2k Dodges and £6k Jeeps and that was only a few years ago.

Despite the WC being a whole lot more practical you can sleep in it for one...:-) Jeeps still command more money......

Jack think of GMCs once uon a time they were all over the place for £1500 and now you are in the £3500 realm and if its got a LeRoi Compressor on the back £12K thats just INSANE

my last comment should have read...

PEOPLE ARE SEEKING AFFORDABLE ALTERNATIVES....... :wink:

Regards

LLoyd

Went to see Stefan last weekend. He had about 5 available, of which only 1 actually ran, unfortunatly he had a bad batch. I believe he has got one running, but that needed a brake system overhaul and a lot of cosmetic work.

I may go back and see that one as it was otherwise sound.

Hi Richard,

Don't be too put off by a truck needing work so long as the price is right,Dodge's are easy enough to work on,most parts can be bought and are not expensive.if you are offered a Weapons Carrier with no rear body the bodies are very difficult to find by themselves but apart from that you can get everything else.if you want to get an idea of the cost of parts check out http://www.midwestmil.com and vintage power wagons in Iowa.I deal with both and have never had any problems.

Dodge WC's can suffer from rust in the chassis as it gets between the inner and outer chassis,the bottom rear of the front fenders is often rotted out as well but it's an easy enough repair,also look for frost damage to the block,along the right hand side (looking from the front) above the starter motor is where it usually cracks.

Good luck!

Matt.

Matt is correct...John Bizal at Midwest Military is brilliant to do buissness with.....most of my WC52 parts came from him.....

Good parts at reasonable prices and FAST shipping

Just my £1 worth

Regards

Lloyd

PS Richard i have emailed Kjell in Norway tonight.....as soon as he emails me back i will let you know whats around OK.

Dont forget the bulkhead fuel filter that is normally FULL of rust that makes a percentage of them NOT RUN......at all

A good Norwegian Dodge will have blue plates on all the major components thats shows the date of repair or replacement of the part.

Also check for leaking brake drums where the wheel cylinder seals have perished.

Rotten Wiring looms

Perished armored fuel lines...especially the one that goes under the engine

Make sure the carb heat shield is there

and on rebulding the water pump make sure the water gallery in the cooling jacket of the engine block is clear.

As i think of more i will let you know

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Jack,

I'm not 100% sure on the mirror arms,they will fit but on the originals I have the GMC one is slightly longer in the first section and not quite as thick as the Dodge one.the actual brackets for the open cab GMC's are specific too them although I think Joel on the CCKW forum mentioned that the M series brackets are the same.

Matt.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi folks,

What modifications if any did the Norwegians do to the Dodges?I know they are less likely to have bar tread tyres but are they very much the same as the wartime Dodge. Is the engine the same and do they have 12V electrics? Any other differences? And are they easy to return to WW2 fashion?

Hi Larry,

For the most part they are very original,the gauges and dataplates have usually been changed and as you said the tyres.

Dodge WC's are easy vehicles to work on and get parts for and depending how much you want to spend it is possible to rebuild any WC to 100% factory spec.

If you are thinking of buying a WC and have any questions give me a shout.

Matt.