9P122....Anybody?

Was wondering if anyone out there has or knows of anyone that is restoring a BRDM-2 (9P122) Sagger ATGM launcher. I've owned mine since 96 and have only known of one other sold about the same time. I have seen lots of 9p133 vehicles in the Czech rep. and some in East Germany, but none of the ex-Israeli 9p122's.

Restoration has been a slow ongoing process with limited success in obtaining parts, but it is a great looking vehicle (IMO) and that alone makes it worthwile. Anyway if someone has any info on others out there I'd be interested in hearing their story.

Thanks,

Richard

DSC01979.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01977.jpg

DSC01978.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

brdm2.JPG

Malyuttka,

nice vehicle. I'm jonesing to get one myself. How many kilometers on yours?

Unknown. When I got it there was no speedo. (I've since found one). All I can say is there are probably alot of miles on it since it was built in Russia, sold to Syria, and captured by Israel in the 73 Yom Kippur War. Mechanically it is in good condition but some pieces are still missing and things like rubber seals and hoses were deteriorated. The cool part is it's one of the few vehicles I own that has acual combat history/damage to it. You can see where rounds penetrated the hull and into one of the fuel tanks and also where a large calibre machine gun round bounced off the left side. Just makes me glad that I wasn't in it at the time:-D

• 2 months later...

They are lovely beasts, the James Bond-esque missile rack I always found immensely satisfying :-D

Do you find the passenger's missile sights get in the way when you're driving? They look like they stick out a fair way and the Russians never seemed too fussed about the driver's visibility...(driving the Gvozdika is an exercise in neck-craning and clairvoyance as you have a socking great gun barrel in the way!)

What parts in particular are hard to get hold of? I've always fancied one of these as a backstop in case I don't have space for anything tracked...

Stone

They are lovely beasts, the James Bond-esque missile rack I always found immensely satisfying :-D

Do you find the passenger's missile sights get in the way when you're driving? They look like they stick out a fair way and the Russians never seemed too fussed about the driver's visibility...(driving the Gvozdika is an exercise in neck-craning and clairvoyance as you have a socking great gun barrel in the way!)

What parts in particular are hard to get hold of? I've always fancied one of these as a backstop in case I don't have space for anything tracked...

Stone

Everything's in the way when you drive! You need a co-pilot and or a set of cameras to be sure on the road. It is an easy vehicle to drive though.

I'm after a new exhaust manifold as mine has a crack in it, also a motor to operate the engine louvers.

Everything's in the way when you drive! You need a co-pilot and or a set of cameras to be sure on the road. It is an easy vehicle to drive though.

I'm after a new exhaust manifold as mine has a crack in it, also a motor to operate the engine louvers.

Yours has a motor for the louvers, or do you just want to add one? Mine has the old (knuckle busting) hand crank just to the left of the driver.

I do agree on the drivability. Easy to operate, hard to see out of. One thing I do know is I wouldn't want to hit anything while driving it. With so many pointy bits hanging about the interior I'd think one would get beat up pretty bad (especially with what the communist block countries used for CVC headgear).

Having been bounced about in the arena at W&P I can testify to the effectiveness of that headgear. My head's been the clapper in the bell whilst stuck out of the hatch and like a squash ball against the wall on the drivers hatch when running closed down!!

Only time I got hurt was when I bounced my nose off the hatch edge! :blush: