Use 4,5,6 HT leeds as 1,2,3 on RR B60 ??

pigdog

Question

I have a set of NOS HT leeds that I'm putting on the ferret, but both are the 4,5,6 leeds. Can I flip the one upside down to use as the 1,2,3 leeds? Flipping it upside down makes the inside wire length correct in the distributer cap. ie the short wire is the #2, the longer wire is #3 and then the #1 wire.

???

Thanks-Chris

1965 Ferret Mk 2/3

00 EC 55

9 answers to this question

Chris you may well be ok. The pair of triple grouped leads I had, came out of Lucas boxes which were marked as manufactured in the 1980s, I assume for keeping the Pigs running in NI. Although it's true all rubber will go down hill with time, the rubber looked in excellent condition as if they could had been made recently.

As a check I tested them for leakage with a 1,000 volt Megger & the insulation was good. Out of curiosity I tested the leakage on the FV1601 & that was the original 1952 stuff & that was still ok, yes lucky I know.

Well I installed the new HT leeds and ran it. So good so far. Next up replacing exhaust gaskets which have some leaks and are all rusted. All the studs and nuts will need to be replaced, so get ready for the next batch of silly questions. :red:

I wish you luck getting the nuts off, as underneath the manifold there is very little room to get a spanner over them. These nuts are brass to resist corosion, the trouble is that makes them relatively soft & easily damaged by a spanner.

I don't think you'll get a socket over them. The best hope is box spanner which will be just thin enough. A crow foot socket can help on some of them.

Whilst you've got the maifolds off would be a good chance to check the gaps of the exhaust tappets. I expect you have 6 new gaskets but the 2 that fit the 'Y' piece are very difficult to find.

For this I use the gaskets for a Standard Vangaurd car. The holes are in a slightly different place but they are larger & cause no problem. But they overlap a little & need to be trimmed a little. Using these has never been a problem.

DSCF1760.jpg

Luckily my ferret came with a few spare parts, and the exhaust gaskets were part of it. I only had to get the two hull gaskets. I attached the pic of the new leeds. Also being how rusted everything is I must say that Kroil is super at getting things loose so far. Its amazing.

119-1912_IMG.jpg

119-1911_IMG.JPG

Yes looking very smart now, so you'll have replace the other leads as well!

I was going to comment that your heat shield was missing, but I am reassured to see it is the paperweight in the second picture.

Nice to see the real gskets rather than the Vangaurd ones!

I see you have the early manifolds that are sided as they have the casting for mounting the heat sheild. Can be easier to reassemble or although a pain if the bolt is seized in there with no nut to shift on the other end.