Cherished registration vs Mot exemption

Steve King

Hello All,

I registered my BRDM-2 for the first time yesterday and DVLA have issued a 'G' suffix registration number. I really don't like this, it won't look right on a Russian-made vehicle that was in the Czech army.

I had planned to purchase a cheap Irish registration (3 letters and 4 numbers) to put on the vehicle (around £30 on eBay plus the transfer fee) but at the DVLA office I was informed that because the vehicle is Mot exempt it can't be the recipient of a 'cherished' (ie undated) registration.

My question then is, has anyone managed to do such a transfer, and how did you do it? I'm tempted to give it a try and see if the Mot point it actually picked up by those doing the processing, but then again it could just waste my money.

Any advice, as always, gratefully received.

Steve King

When registering our Bedford at the local office I was told that the age-related plate they had issued was non-transferable, but they never mentioned anything about being unable to transfer a cherished plate to it. We also operate under an MOT exemption (not historic class though) so I would have thought they'd have mentioned it...

Can't really see on what grounds they'd argue, the vehicle doesn't get any younger by putting a different plate on it! I can understand their reluctance with the age-related plates (they might issue you a valuable one that appears to spell something, I guess) but it does sound like someone's got confused.

BRDM's are lovely vehicles, why not start a thread in the restoration section? Would love to see some pics :)

Stone