WW1 truck for sale

Great War truck

This Liberty truck has come up on E Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4649882944&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I think that it has been on the market for a while now and will command a lot of money.

For a chance of winning "NO PRIZE WHATSOEVER", have a guess at the reserve price and the max bidding price.

My estimates are a reserve of $30,000 and max bid price of $8,500. It will of course not sell and will reappear for sale in the classifieds at a later date.

Tim (too)

This Liberty truck has come up on E Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4649882944&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I think that it has been on the market for a while now and will command a lot of money.

For a chance of winning "NO PRIZE WHATSOEVER", have a guess at the reserve price and the max bidding price.

My estimates are a reserve of $30,000 and max bid price of $8,500. It will of course not sell and will reappear for sale in the classifieds at a later date.

Tim (too)

:cry: That's a nice one.

Wish I had an income to afford something like that.

It would be a nice addition to my Doughboy uniform...

Well i was wrong. Top bid $12,100 and it failed to meet the reserve. Interesting to see that one of the top bidders was based in Belgium. I thought that he would not have to travel very far to get one in as good condition (there are quite a few of these surviving in France it seems). I wonder where it will be advertised next?

Tim (too)

Yes, i would think that there is still an incredibly large number of surviving WW1 trucks still in France. Hundreds i would think, but almost entirely of French or US construction. At the end of the war the US military disposed of all of their trucks in France and i guess a lot of them sre still there. The British brought all of theirs home for disposal.

If you are familiar with the curious French magazine Charge Utile, in just about every issue there is a picture of another surviving WW1 truck. One i remember was of a mobile X Ray lorry sitting in a scrapyard. Now i dont know a great deal about X Ray machines, but i am fairly certain that they have a large quantity of radioactive material in them and this is before they realised how dangerous it all is. So i wonder how radioactive the truck (a Renault) still is. They also had a picture of a complete and totally original unrestored Liberty sitting in a garage. Also this Months addition of the magazine Vehicules Militaire has a picture of two WW1 Nash Quads sitting in a field, where they have no doubt been for many years. I will try and get the picture scanned later on.

We had a contact who sent us photos of a French farm where there were hundreds of old cars and trucks parked around, including 10 WW1 ones. From a casual observance there was also a DUKW, a Rogers trailer and the bottom half of a tank (unidentified). We have lost contact with this person now, but would love to reestablish it. The farmer was obviously a collector as he also had a Chinese Junk, a railway engine and carriages as well as all of the machinery out of an WW1 armaments factory in other barns. I have photos of some of these things but will be using them to hopefully illustrate a future magazine article.

Tim (too)

Here is a couple of photos of two WW1 Nash Quads sitting in a scrap yard near Paris. I saw a similar photo of the same two trucks taken about 20 years ago, and they have deterioated somewhat. A friend is going out to look at them and hopefully buy them. I will let you know if he is succesfull.

59ff8617.jpg

Tim (too)