Exhaust....ed!

Jack

Hi all.

Fitted new exhaust silencer and rear pipe to the Jimmy.

The sound of that new exhaust is something else....but I can't get a great seal around the join of the down pipe entering the silencer. It is ok but not perfect :twisted:

What would you advise I can use to seal it up or do I get a mother of all clamps and give it some muscle :twisted:

Cheers

Jack

Jack

Did you use that grey exhaust gungey putty stuff? Used to get it in a metal tub but when I recently did the exhaust on the Hornet I found you can get it in a tube to use in one of the gun things like for fitting bathroom sealant. This is much better as you can really force the stuff into narrow places.

I would undo or significantly loosen the joints. Try to wet the mating surfaces, then with the gun squeeze fat worms of the stuff ideally on both mating surfaces. Then tighten up, wipe away excess, maybe smooth the gunge with a dribbly finger THEN WALK AWAY. Leave it alone! Don't run the engine in case it blows the goo out. Leave it until tomorrow, so that it dries hard.

Jack are you using a Bedford box? If so cutting and welding my be the best long term solution. How much clearance is there between pipe and box flange ? Much over 1/8th" will tend to blow exhaust gunge out over time.

Not sure Karoshi, it is from Rex........does that make any diffference?

Doesn't blow a great deal but enough to annoy me - I would like a complete fit :cry:

Jack, I'm not sure what Rex is supplying, but for long term reliability the joint between exhaust box flange and its mating pipe, at either end, should be a nice "snug" fit.

So fitting a sleeve as Oddball suggests or welding new ends on the box is the way to go, otherwise you'll only be doing it again in a few months time, by which time the fittings will have rusted up, and the job will become twice as hard.

Jack, I'm not sure what Rex is supplying, but for long term reliability the joint between exhaust box flange and its mating pipe, at either end, should be a nice "snug" fit.

So fitting a sleeve as Oddball suggests or welding new ends on the box is the way to go, otherwise you'll only be doing it again in a few months time, by which time the fittings will have rusted up, and the job will become twice as hard.

:cry: can't do that :cry: