Mystery Object No.107

fv1609

It looks belt driven. It appears to have an air reservoir, presumably then it is pumping fluid, not air, and the inverted cylinder traps air that is compressed by the pulsing liquid, an so evens out the flow. Similar to the Air storage cylinders on a Gardner engine fuel pump, that help maintain a steady pressure of fuel and help to iron out the pulses, so if this assumption is correct what fluid might we be pumping, powered by an I/C donkey engine, or possibly a portable steam engine., where it is important to have a fairly regular flow?

In an interogation room? Looks like a mechanized rack for extracting confessions of "belonging to a terrorist organisation"!

So fearsome a machine I'm sure it would yield up a confession to almost anything. But that was not the official purpose I'm after.

Off topic but....

"terrorist"? We don't seem to hear about them any more, have you noticed how they are all "insurgents" nowadays? I have pondered on this for some time. After plodding through the various conventions for conducting a civilised war (whatever that is) from 1868 onwards I can now see the reason. Insurgents are specifically mentioned as not being signatories to the various conventions & therefore cannot expect to be afforded the benefits laid done in the conventions. So use of the term insurgency is deliberate & is of great lego-military significance.

Is it a machine that drills a hole and injects water/air down it? Perhaps in order to to cool/lubricate the cutter.

Holes for blasting rock?

Yes, well done GE

You're too good for me & you got in before Richard - being a Thursday I expect he's still in the bath!

App1458.jpg

I had my doubts because it must have been very tedious to use given the short length of drilling tubes that could be used, better than the old hand jumper though!

Yes to go down 500ft would be irksome.

App1460.jpg