RAF Nocton Hall - Lincolnshire

I know this has nothing to do with WW2 Armour, but hey we all have varied interests!

I only discovered Nocton in January while searching for a derelict house to restore; you know how it is when you start investigating.

Nocton was built in 1841 on the site of the previous house which burned down in 1834. To understand the wartime link see the time line below:

1917 - US Army use Hall for as a convalescent centre

1917 - 1940 Hall unoccupied, but kept in good order.

1940 - RAF takeover Nocton Hall to use as a hospital.

1943 - US Army once again take up residence developing the adjacent hospital complex.

1945 - 1984 - RAF takeover again and further develop Nocton Hall Hospital in the grounds.

1984 - 1995 - US Army take residence for the final time, Gulf war personnel spend time on site.

1995-8 – Following brief use as a residential home the Hall is sold to property developer - vacated and left to decay.

2004 - Nocton Hall gutted by fire, only the annex remains

2010 - :stop:

I have approached the local council who did not respond on the issue of a listed building being left to decay. HOWEVER 'the Victorian society' where very accommodating and I am hoping to get the ball rolling to preserve this historic house.

If you look on Google maps 'Nocton' you can see the hall and grounds to the south (great to walk the dogs!), to the East is the post war Hospital complex which I would say was the developers main development opportunity. With a cynical eye I would suggest that the developers (leda properties) are hoping that the hall will get into such a poor condition that they can demolish it and develop the entire sit into housing. The locals don't think that kids set the hall on fire in 2004 anyway..... I wonder who could have a motive to see the Listed Hall destroyed.... hmm:idea:

Could anyone help me with ideas for kicking off a preservation effort? I have never done anything like this before so it should be damn interesting. Apparently one method is to put forward a development proposal with conservation in mind and the LA can then have an easy option to compulsory purchase the building to save it from a neglecting owner.

Photos from This afternoon:

Edited by ajmac

I managed to get the Victorian Society to take n interest in Nocton Hall and was informed last week that it has gone into there 2009 top ten endangered Buildings in the UK.

The local news will be doing a quick piece on the hall this evening at the six pm slot. You should see me putting having a chat with the reporter.

Edited by ajmac

I'll look out for you on the 6 Oclock slot. Its about time someone has taken some interest in the Hall and I can't understand why Lincs council has not done anything. I'm told that there is some sort of tunnel from the old hall to the RAf buildings' how true this is i'm not sure.

I noticed the last time I was walking the dog that the gates had been forced open to the RAF site, and looked like people stripping out the wiring and lights and other bits.

If your in the area give us a call. contact details on my website.

www.protruckservices.com

Clive.

Edited by protruck

Now that we have has the BBC on it and the local paper the North Kesteven planning authority seem to be up and listening, I just got off the phone to them! Not to say they weren't before but perhaps the pace will quicken.

After a conversation with the Lincolnshire wide preservation trust I have some new key pieces of info and names to write to higher up in the local authority.

PS. Thanks Jack, inspirational, now what is that address again....24 Grosvenor Sq...:)

Now that we have has the BBC on it and the local paper the North Kesteven planning authority seem to be up and listening, I just got off the phone to them! Not to say they weren't before but perhaps the pace will quicken.

After a conversation with the Lincolnshire wide preservation trust I have some new key pieces of info and names to write to higher up in the local authority.

PS. Thanks Jack, inspirational, now what is that address again....24 Grosvenor Sq...:)

Good stuff Alastair and my pleasure :)

• 1 year later...

I have family who live close to the hall and to see it being deliberately to be allowed to become completley destroyed so as it can be used for none afordable housing for a chosen few's profit. When it was RAF hospital it was classed as one of the best in the country ,I know of 2 people who were walking around because of that hospital. A shame it was extended and reequipt ready for the first gulf war.

:nut:

I have family who live close to the hall and to see it being deliberately to be allowed to become completley destroyed so as it can be used for none afordable housing for a chosen few's profit. When it was RAF hospital it was classed as one of the best in the country ,I know of 2 people who were walking around because of that hospital. A shame it was extended and reequipt ready for the first gulf war.

:nut:

My wife served there and later I was a patient a fantastic place

TED