1st Time Driving Armour

jerry.ice

Last year, having one of those significant birthdays, i was given a voucher to go tank driving. Due to work and family commitments it has taken me until now to actually get round to using them.

Being up in Cumbria one of the nearest sites with a variety of vehicles was Galloway Tanks up near Wigtown in Scotland (doesn't look far on the map but still took 3 hours to get there!)

When we got there we parked up and had a good look round as we waited for others to arrive.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1115

Parked around the yard were a couple of Stalwarts, an AEC, a Berliet, a couple of Gama Goats, a Reo a number of Abbots and 432's, a Berlin Chiefton and an engineers chiefton though i could not see what type.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1125picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1127

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1124

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1114

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1113

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1116

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1126

If you can see the small harbour behind the last gama goat, that is Garlieston where the trials for the Mulberry Harbour took place.

Once we got kitted out half of us climbed into the back of the Berliet while the others would ride out on an Abbot.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1120

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1112

When out at the woods (approx half a mile away) there were more Stalwarts and 432's + a REME fitters 432.

I started with driving a Stalwart. After only having driven cars and vans before the First impression was the amount of power and traction.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1117

The driving position was more like a sports car though the course through the woods had numerous twists, turns, dips and climbs. I think my driving certainly kept the passengers in the back guessing and ducking!

The second drive was in the Abbot. Having two trips around as a passenger in the turret it became my turn to drive.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1118

With Ian giving me instruction through the intercom we set off on a different track (with more water). After thinking the Stalwart had good traction this was amazing, I found it very straight forward to drive and quickly relaxed and enjoyed the experience. After getting back it was straight back out again in a 432.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1128

With coming from the Abbot the 432 layout was familiar and with my kids riding in the back I tackled the course with more confidence (and speed) managing to soak all the occupents with an exuberant entry too a large puddle.

Being over all to quickly it was our turn to have a fast drive back on the Abbot with Ian driving.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1119

Back at the farm some of the other barns were now open showing various spare engines and a Pioneer.

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1123

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1122

picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=1121

After getting changed it was time for tea and medals!

End of a fantastic day and the drive back to Kendal although with a huge grin accross my face!!!!

Can't wait to go again and if the lottery numbers come up there are a few more vehicles on the shopping list.

Well worth a visit for any one going to this part of Scotland and Ian and his team were fantastic:-D:-D:-D