carbine

bullitt

What markings are on the receiver? and is the barrel marked(usually near the muzzle on Carbines).

The mag is definitely not WW2 and the stock does not appear to have any markings either,although they could be on the other side.

If your mate bought this as being WW2 I think he needs to ask for his money back.

Matt.

Is this a ww2 carbine???? the sites look iffy. The gun is sold to a mate of mine but he aint sure either. Anyone heard of the seller??

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/Deac%20Photo/pages/103_0062_JPG.htm

If you want someone you can trust buy off these people

http://www.sherwoodarmouryltd.com/pages/1/index.htm

Hi Bullitt

It is an M2 Carbine,a modification of the M1 for selective fire (semi auto or full auto) and fitted with the curved 30 round mag. They were first issued in Oct44 so this could be of WW2 manufacture. As regards the sight, peephole type were fitted on early model M1s,later models used a windage site.

If you want to read chapter and verse just type M2 Carbine in Google.

Cheers

Degsy

• 2 weeks later...

hey all

took delivery of that carbine today. heres the markings etc. Maybe you can help me determine exactly what it is

The deac cert says M1

beside the chamer it says US Carbine 30 cal mL or M1. (dot after the one)

on the3 barrell it says Underwood with a 4 under it and a ball with flame on top

under the rear site it looks like " Saginaw SG" witha serial no

thats all i can see. Any ideas

cheers

Hi Bullitt

Underwood made the barrel, Saginaw (a division of GMC) made the receiver,the ball/flame is the US Ordnance dept mark. As I said before

type in M1 or M2 Carbine on your search engine .

Cheers

Degsy

• 2 weeks later...

I might as well put in my two bits worth here. It is an M1 carbine with the receiver manufactured by Saginaw during WWII and Underwood typewriter company manufactured the barrel during WWII. It has the standard wood, as the pot belly Korean war M2 is quite noticable. It has the late WWII additions of the adjustable rear sight and the top barrel band with bayonet attachment. The stock has apparantly been sanded and refinished. Look for any ordance stamps on the stock. Normally if they are missing, then the stock has been refinished. Look at the bottom of the pistol grip for a stamp, most normally a P. It is a good WWII representation M1 carbine and something you can be proud to own. Now that is enough from me.

cheers mate

So do those marks make it an M1. I think it has the pot belly woodwork tho. Im confused as to what it actually is

cheers

Bullitt,

What are the inspectors initials on the barrel?

If it is "MC" it was inspected by my mother.....

Listen no mother jokes here....I am very serious about this...My mother's "Rosie the Riveter" job was inspecting M1 Carbine barrels at the Underwood Typewriter factory in Hartford CT USA during WWII.

I ask or look on every underwood barrel I come in contact with.

Bill

thanks for the info guys. I cant see any inspectors marks on the barrell im afraid. Only the name Underwood with a flaming star under it. and the numer 4. Nothing else. I still think the stock is pot bellied. Can you have another look at picture and see what you think.