FORD gallery

British army use still today some FORD trucks/tractors. The 4x2 FORD CARGO 40280 with Cummins engine is the most importent truck I guess. Since 2005 MOD sell them to the public. I found some here http://www.ljacksonandco.com/ and at the german http://www.vebeg.de/ site.

Knows anybody how many CARGOs MOD bought and was the famoust Ford Transcontinental ever in sevice?

1176387.jpg

1176388.jpg

1176389.jpg

Roland if you look on the Jackson site they have some Renault 6x4 tractors which use a similar Berliet cab to the Transcontinental (or 'H' series as it was known within Ford), but I don't remember Ford ever supplying any when I worked in Special Vehicle Ops who would have been involved with Ministry sales.

The Transconti was a real multi national mongrel, engineered in the UK, American driveline (Cummins/Fuller/Rockwell), French cab and built in Amsterdam.

Mike

The Transconti was a real multi national mongrel, engineered in the UK, American driveline (Cummins/Fuller/Rockwell), French cab and built in Amsterdam.

I know, Mike. Before I got my Crusader I used a (own militarised) 4435 Transconti for my hobby. It was a superb truck, fast and strong.

1178440.jpg

I got to play with those on the estate at Dagenham plant (I used to design shipping & receiving facilities and we used to mock-up the docks to make sure vehicles could get in) - loved the Transcons and the Cargo was better than it's predecessor, the D Series.

Ah - the good old days!! :):):)