Civvy Vickers Tractors and other things

john1950

First one is a VR 180. 2nd one is a Vigor 1000 series with a slewing clutch problem. 3rd one is a high front Vigor 3000 series with a main clutch problem and a Hough 90 rigid loader. 4th one is the Vigor going out to work. Last one is a hard working IH 65c still with the payloader badge.

SAM_1431.JPG

SAM_1430.JPG

SAM_1432.JPG

SAM_1433.JPG

SAM_1434.JPG

Edited by john1950
correction addition

Taken in the 1960s at Druridge Bay I think the serial number is XP404. Flying SAR out of RAF Acklington. A concrete block house can just be made out in the background to the left. Making its way onto the beach as the dunes erode.

SAM_1435.JPG

SAM_1436.JPG

Edited by john1950

1978  -  I watched colliery waste being dozered into the sea at  NCB Dawdon , Seaham  -  that must have kept the  'sea-coal traders'  busy at Hartlepool.  I suppose your photograph was taken near Blyth ?    ,  so did the washed black gold return on the next high tide to Blyth  ?    

In the first picture my father is reducing the sheer clay face erosion had left at the mouth of the river Wansbeck. An area used as a clay tip for excavations building Blyth Power Station. Sea coal washed up on all of the beaches mainly south of Cresswell, A lot of Bedford QLs Ford WOT6s Commer Superpois etc gave stirling service retrieving the bounty.  There was a coal washing plant on the sea shore at Seaham washing the colliery waste tipped onto the beach.

Some used to claim the coal originated from outcropping coal seams on the sea-bed.    I don't recall observing coal being raked up from beaches around Hartlepool / Redcar after abt. late 1980's  -  so I suppose it came from colliery waste.

• Like 1

A couple of pictures I have no history on. Except that Campania D48 and Nairana D05 were near sisters converted from merchant hulls under construction. Post war Campania was used as a Festival of Britain ship and the Atomic bomb test of Australia, later broken up at Hughes Bolkow Battleship Wharf on the river Blyth. Nairana was transfered to the Royal Dutch Navy post war then converted to a merchantman and eventually scrapped at Faslane. 

SAM_1438.JPG

SAM_1439.JPG

Edited by john1950
addition