Hello!

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would say one or two words to introduce myself.  I'm a Canadian with a strong interest in WW2 that lay dormant for a long while.  A couple of years ago I started doing plastic scale modelling and also started to help Mike Starmer by trying to match paint colours against WW2 paint chips that are in the Canadian archives.  My first trip to the archives, I discovered a sheet with chips of the Caunter paint colours, which was absolutely thrilling to me.  (The Canadian archives also have samples of Light Green and Dark Tarmac, which we've been trying to get an exact match against, but we haven't hit that yet.) 

Since then I've also been reading like mad about WW2, and exchanging photos of documents in the archives with a fellow in the UK.  Last November I decided on a project, which is to try to write a book about the Archer, aka Valentine SP, because so far as I can tell, no one has done one yet. 

I am fascinated by restoration work (have been following the Matilda videos of the Tank Museum with great interest) but since I live in a flat I don't expect to be doing any of my own.  Last year I saw the Flakpanzer IV restoration underway at Borden Base museum. 

Currently I am on vacation in the UK and amongst other things hope to visit the Cornwall Regimental Museum, will be at Bovington for Tankfest on the Friday and Saturday, and hope to see some of the museums in Winchester as well.

Do people from the community bring their vehicles to Tankfest?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to HMVF. 

I do not personally take vehicles to Tankfest, mostly due to work commitments, and lacking a tank and only having lighter vehicles. 

I am interested in the fact you visit the Canadian archive. Do you go there often, and if so would you be able to do a few cursory searches for me this side of the pond? I am trying to locate Canadian forces movements in the UK during the 1940's and I have reference to certain things being kept in the Canadian archive that are ommited from the UK natioanl archive. It would fill a few gaps in my research. 

Only if you have time of course, but would be a great help.

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks for the welcomes!

Clive - that is a shame!   I hope on my next visit to the UK I will get to see some privately restored vehicles.

Paul - yes, absolutely!  I have not been to the archives as many times this year but I do go every couple of months.   I presume you know that many Canadian unit war diaries are now online, though?