WS 19 Battery size

Yeoman

I have got my 19 set up and running at last and am now wanting to use it both as a working rally/show exhibit and also for my own enjoyment as an indoor set up.

Could anyone kindly advise me - firstly - what size (as in amp hours etc) 12 v  battery I need and secondly recomend a 240 v AC to 12 v DC converter to use please?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

All the best,

Kevin.

Glad to hear its up and running, well done. Officially two 6v batteries with a capacity of between 85 -170 Ah, I run mine from a single 12v 85Ah leisure battery. For a mains power supply I use a 240 -12v caravan transformer, dont be tempted to use a Switch mode PSU as these will trip out on overcurrent when the rotary transfomers start up.

PT

Hi

As noted above, a rotary transformer has a very large start up current , typically 20A, most commercial bench power supplies won't be able to handle this, (in my oppinion) the best way is to run it off batteries. If you go for a Mains PSU, ensure that it is a linear PSU (not switched mode) and use anti surge fuses. When the rotary transformer has started up, the current draw drops dramtically, doen to typically 2 Amps.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much for your detailed informative replies - very much appreciated.

Having given the matter some more thought and bearing in mind my useage of the set ( receive only) I think that the best option for me is to use batteries - a 12v 85ah as PT suggested.

Just for information the set is a mk2 will both English and Russian writting on it.It does work in that it does receive,I cant transmit as I do not have a license and at this moment in time have no plans to get one.

PT - I was pleased to be able to get this set up and running at last - just leaves me with the 209 to get going,in this respect I have been able to locate and speak to the person who modified the set and hopefully he will be able to advise/show me on how to bring it back to a running condition again.

All the best,

Kevin.

Edited by Yeoman
unfinished reply!