British 6x6 new parts, gearbox etc?....

phixxy

I've got a couple of drum loads of parts I originally believed to be Matida tank but restorers say otherwise, but could not otherwise ID them. Google has given some hints that they belong to a 6x6 likely British, but until I delve deeper that's all I've got. Perhaps someone out there can help once having a good look at a sample of the parts displayed. Thanks in advance, Phil Morton

http://s356.photobucket.com/user/phixxy/media/DSC03279_zpsfgkiugyd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I've got a couple of drum loads of parts I originally believed to be Matida tank but restorers say otherwise, but could not otherwise ID them. Google has given some hints that they belong to a 6x6 likely British, but until I delve deeper that's all I've got. Perhaps someone out there can help once having a good look at a sample of the parts displayed. Thanks in advance, Phil Morton

http://s356.photobucket.com/user/phixxy/media/DSC03279_zpsfgkiugyd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Hi Phil,

Despite trying to enlarge the photos, it is not easy to ready the labels, if you could photo some labels with all details clear, I might be able to work it out. There is one part that looks familiar, but cannot think what from at present.

regards, Richard

Phil, the parts all look like gearbox components and all appear to have the VAOS code LV7/NEU on. LV7 is non-standardised B vehicles (so definitely not Matilda, which I believe would be LV1), and the following letters normally give manufacturer but in this case I believe NEU is short for NEUtral, i.e. common parts to a group or nation's B vehicles. Clive might know better.

My eyes aren't good enough to read many of the labels in your photo, but I'd be looking for other clues on the labels and packaging, or googling part numbers.

Richard, part numbers I can read are GB 150208 ?? Gearshift; 150507 Carrier; 170022; GB 15021?; RA 1706??; GB 150219 Washer.

Phil, better photos of the labels would help. You can often find clues to the maker on the packaging as well.

Could these be CMP parts?

Phil, the parts all look like gearbox components and all appear to have the VAOS code LV7/NEU on. LV7 is non-standardised B vehicles (so definitely not Matilda, which I believe would be LV1), and the following letters normally give manufacturer but in this case I believe NEU is short for NEUtral, i.e. common parts to a group or nation's B vehicles. Clive might know better.

My eyes aren't good enough to read many of the labels in your photo, but I'd be looking for other clues on the labels and packaging, or googling part numbers.

Hi Sean,

I did see the LV7/NEU label and have come across it before, oddly it is not on Clive's list. I also think it means Neutral and would relate to B vehicles.

In your second post I think those parts prefixed GB could well be Girling Brakes as they used that annotation.

I'm likely on the wrong track looking into some of the parts origin earlier thinking British. Studebaker and Reo Motors parts found amongst it all.

GB150219 Washer

LV7/NEU GB150190, Fork

LV/NEU RA-170022, LV7/NEU FA-160381 Nut, LV7/NEU 150507 Carrier,

2-Gear Countershaft 3rd Speed, Rest of two crossed out Mfr's # SD66(56?), another marked LV7/NEU, GB-150170

LV7/NEU GB-150208 Rod Gearshift, LV7/NEU GB-151079 Washer, LV7/NEU GB-151073 Fork,

Reo Motors, Inc Part Number 667307 Group 1006, Bushing, Model 6x6

Studebaker Corp Part Number 667367, Model 6x4

There's more in the bottom of a drum to pull out yet but mostly more of the same I think.

(ps Thanks Terry for your help yesterday)

Cheers - Phil M

I've just had a quick look deeper down in the drum and have this....

Reo Motors Inc, Part Number 667391 Retainer, Model 6x6;

LV3/LD X31850 Race Inner; LV7/NEU 6B-150658 Shaft;

LV7/NEU FA-160040 ? Flange; LV7/NEU FA-160022 ? ;

Studebaker Corporation p/n SD630670, Item Code G067-03-0(0?)090 Group 1104 Thrust Block;

LV7/NEU ID no GB-15017,On a tag marked AAF-F 450 (reprinted July, 1963)

Most tags have reprint dates from mid 50's to mid 60's

Perhaps better I put this up over to the U.S. Vehicle section and see if they can throw some light on it all.

Regards - Phil

You've got one oddball in there as LV3/LD X31850 is an engine part for a Leyland built or engined AFV.

The rest all seem to be REO or Studebaker, all gearbox (or transfer box) parts, all for 6x6 or 6x4. That they're labelled NEUtral indicates they're parts for a particular design that came from two or more makers (i.e. neutral as they're common across all the makes). Presumably that they have British VAOS classifications indicates they were for vehicles that the British were involved with in some way or another (did commonwealth countries use British VAOS?)

So you're looking for a typical US standardised design that was built by REO, Studebaker and possibly other makers, all using the same transmission, available as a 6x6 or a 6x4, built during or before the 1950s, and with at least a British connection. Tempting to suggest the US6?

As Sean says, the LV3/LD part is Leyland origin and for an AFV, most likely a part for a Matilda engine. The LV stock numbering system was also used by Commonwealth countries during WW2 onwards and I now remember seeing LV7/NEU labelled parts when going through a load of assorted parts for sale in NSW last year. Those with Studebaker on them would be for the US6 6x6, of which Reo also built some and seen in Australia and I think it is these parts that I have seen marked NEU. The prefix "GB" on some parts would appear to stand for Gear Box, looking at part descriptions!

Edited by Richard Farrant

Those with Studebaker on them would be for the US6 6x6, of which Reo also built some...

And I think with common transmissions, which gives the neutral categorisation for those gearbox parts (also maybe common to the CCKW)

The LV stock numbering system was also used by Commonwealth countries during WW2 onwards ...

Thanks for the confirmation, Richard - I wasn't sure.

Edited by Sean N

Thanks all for your assistance with this mystery. It's almost certain they are mostly Studebaker 6x6, 6x4 gearbox parts. The parts were purchased by my father in the early 70's at a government auction which lines up with when all of the US6's were finally sold off at various army auctions. Apparently Australia ended up with around 1200 US6's so there'd be no shortage of parts for any restorers here. A bit more research and I've stumbled across mention of one Ross Prince (ph 07 41244075) in Queensland having "hundreds of tons" of US6 parts. I'll put them into a corner of my own shed and decide at a later time if they're worth keeping.

Thanks again, Phil Morton

• 5 years later...
On 7/6/2015 at 7:10 AM, Sean N said:

You've got one oddball in there as LV3/LD X31850 is an engine part for a Leyland built or engined AFV.

The rest all seem to be REO or Studebaker, all gearbox (or transfer box) parts, all for 6x6 or 6x4. That they're labelled NEUtral indicates they're parts for a particular design that came from two or more makers (i.e. neutral as they're common across all the makes). Presumably that they have British VAOS classifications indicates they were for vehicles that the British were involved with in some way or another (did commonwealth countries use British VAOS?)

So you're looking for a typical US standardised design that was built by REO, Studebaker and possibly other makers, all using the same transmission, available as a 6x6 or a 6x4, built during or before the 1950s, and with at least a British connection. Tempting to suggest the US6?

Hi Sean, 

I now if you can help, I've picked up a lot off vehicle spares which has nsn on but also are dated 1950's but most have a prefix of lv7/an which I thought might be off an morris c8, is lv7 allocated to one type off vehicle or wheeled vehicles in general, 

I have loads off pics if you are interested in having a look.

Cheers 

Dickiebird

On 7/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, Dickie bird said:

Hi Sean, 

I now if you can help, I've picked up a lot off vehicle spares which has nsn on but also are dated 1950's but most have a prefix of lv7/an which I thought might be off an morris c8, is lv7 allocated to one type off vehicle or wheeled vehicles in general, 

I have loads off pics if you are interested in having a look.

Cheers 

Dickiebird

LV7/AN is a prefix for an Austin part number. Morris had a different prefix.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, Dickie bird said:

is lv7 allocated to one type off vehicle or wheeled vehicles in general,

VAOS Sub-Section LV/7 is for 'non-standardised' (ie not to WO design) British 'B' Vehicles