42 am cdo ?

MiketheBike

I have been looking through my vehicle record card (101 GS) and trying to find what/who out a few entries relate to:

in 1988 the vehicle served with "42 AM CDO". Could that be 42 Commando?

The other two are "1 KOB", and that entry is for 1987, straight after it was with KOSB. Is KOB part of Kings Own Scottish Borders? I doubt if its Kings Own Borderers.

And finally, "MOD Aston Down"...is that just where it was stored before being sold off?

Thanks,

Mick

I have been looking through my vehicle record card (101 GS) and trying to find what/who out a few entries relate to:

in 1988 the vehicle served with "42 AM CDO". Could that be 42 Commando?

The other two are "1 KOB", and that entry is for 1987, straight after it was with KOSB. Is KOB part of Kings Own Scottish Borders? I doubt if its Kings Own Borderers.

And finally, "MOD Aston Down"...is that just where it was stored before being sold off?

Thanks,

Mick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Own_Scottish_Borderers

For a period it was known as Semphill's Regiment of Foot, the name under which it fought at the Battle of Culloden in 1746. When the British infantry were allocated numerical positions in the 'line' of Infantry the regiment was numbered 25th Foot (based on its formation date) in 1751. The Regiment fought at the Battle of Minden on 1 August 1759 with five other regiments; this battle honour was celebrated by the Regiment each year on 1 August. The 25th was the county regiment of Sussex from 1782 to 1805, before its recruiting area was moved to the Scottish Borders region. From then it was known as the King's Own Borderers, becoming the King's Own Scottish Borderers in 1887.

Assuming that there is a typo in wiki and King's Own Borderers became the King's Own Scottish Borderers in 1987, it adds up.

Though TBH I thought the Kosbies were around before 1987. Unless KOB had a 101 GS in 1887 ... or 1 KOB was a TA unit paying a nod to the former regular regiment. A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

The thlot pickens.

Ahhh...looking closer you are right....its "RM CDO". :)

On the record card, it has KOSB (1983-1987), and then its KOB on 13/2/1987...so that makes sense...unless like you say, they had my 101 in 1887, in which case my 101 should be MOT/Tax exempt?

Either way, would that make the wkipedia entry wrong? Would have throught it would be KOB, then KOSB?

Ahhh...looking closer you are right....its "RM CDO". :)

On the record card, it has KOSB (1983-1987), and then its KOB on 13/2/1987...so that makes sense...unless like you say, they had my 101 in 1887, in which case my 101 should be MOT/Tax exempt?

Either way, would that make the wkipedia entry wrong? Would have throught it would be KOB, then KOSB?

Why if it 1987 would it be tax/MOT exempt??

MOT exempt is pre 1960 and Historic Vehicle pre 1st Jan 1974