CVRT Sabre 03 FD 66

Duffy

Although I am still waiting for delivery I jumped into researching the history of 03 FD 66. This will be my third vehicle. Over the summer I bought a Canadian Mk1 Bren Gun Carrier and a very well restored Ferret Mk2. 02 DA 45. The ferret's history I found was amazing. The British for the most part have maintained fairly detailed service records.

So now I am looking for any additional information on my new toy.

You probably have seen it for sale on MILWEB. The previous owner had both the records from the Scorpion days as well as it's last days in service as a Sabre.

It appears that 03 FD 66 served with the 14th/20th KIng's Hussars from 15/03/88 until 23/11/92. Of coarse in 1991 the 14th/20th was part of the 4th Armoured Brigades Desert Rats in the first Gulf War. They had 43 Challenger MBTs and a recce squadron of 8 Scorpions. This unit was involved in some notable action.

There is actually a site that the recce squadron has set up.

This has some amazing shots of several Scorpions. Mostly before the battle started I believe because the "V" is not visible in many of the pics. Unfortunately no vehicle numbers are visible.

I am dreaming to think that 03 FD 66 could be/is one of those Scorpions?

Later as a Sabre you will see it served with the 2PWRR in Bosnia in 2000 to 2001 for several months.

Does anyone have any in service pics of this as either a Scorpion or a Sabre?

Any help/comments here would be greatly appreciated.

Al

img019.jpg

img006.jpg

SAM_2598.jpg

img040.jpg

Springwater-20111104-00417.jpg

Edited by Duffy

A very nice vehicle and good to see someone who is interested in it's history (including it's former life as a Scorpion!)

Can't help with pictures I'm afraid, but Operation Oculus appears to have been the deplotment to Kosovo (KFOR) - I've not heard that Op name before though.

www.british-army-units1945on.co.uk is very good for locations of regiments