Ehrhardt Mountain Howitzer:How do I strip the Breech?

Recently I acquired a Mountain Howitzer.I am not in the UK and wish to restore the Gun to functioning Condition.

I have removed the Barrel assembly from the Chassis (not the right term probably) and now am trying to free up the Breech.

I have been pouring oil down the Barrel for months,letting it run out from around the Breech block.I tried warming the breech up with a torch,it was encouraging to see Molten Grease run out.Alas no movement in the Breech.

I am thinking I will have to press out the large Pin that the Breech linkage hinges on?Then I hope with the linkage removed the Breech block its self will slide out,or press out or beat out?

20160518_151651.jpg

20160518_151701.jpg

20160521_115155.jpg

Try removing the breech handle first, then heat only the Breechring not the breech block. I recommend using a oxygen/acetylene rose bud torch. You want to heat and expand the outside (Breechring) while the interior (breech block) stays the same size. Once heated, try knocking the breech block out with a brass block and hammer or even better use a hydraulic press. Sometimes it can take up to 20 tons of pressure plus heat. The breech block will move a few inches then come to a hard stop. This is the extractor key stopping movement of the breech block. The extractor key should be exposed at this point and can be removed. Once it is removed the breech block will be free to slide completely out of the Breechring. If you cannot remove the extractor key, you might consider cleaning the breech block as well as you can while still in the Breechring. Then see if there is relatively free movement.

This is a real simplification of the process. It can be extremely difficult to remove and breech block that has been exposed to the elements for many decades. Don't get too discouraged by a failure or two. It might take a lot of effort and thought.

One note of caution, make sure there is no shell case, or explosive projectile in the shell chamber of the artillery piece before applying heat.

Hope it goes well

R/

Ralph Lovett