Canadian use of British made Vehicles

I was thinking more along the line,s of the smaller trucks, and cars. I know canada manufacture ford woody wagons that were used by the British and Canadian armys. also the CMP, and the ford made Bren Gun carriers was used by both Governments. but did Canada use the smaller trucks and cars like the Morris, Humber, Austin models.

Thanks

I all way whanted to import a british made ,small military vehicle to canada and put canadian markings on it and use it for rememberance day parades and such. You see alot of CMP's around Canada, and i quess i just whant to be able to show Canadians outher vehicles our Military used during the war.

The photos of mine in its current state is on the "restorations" part of this here forum. A google search will bring up many pics, although I think most have been done as English unit markings. I think a search is needed in somepnes picture archives! Do you not have access to any photo archives over there? Have you looked into the cost of exporting a vehicle from here to there? Not cheap tho. Heres a phot of what it did looked like when found, and yes it runs!

width=640 height=429http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/benson_photos_025.jpg[/img]

Hi Rick,

I have thought of the cost of haveing the truck put aboard a container and haveing it shipped to canada, your right it is not cheap. on the same hand buying a complete truck will not be cheap also.

This is defenitly going to be a long term goal.

I have seen some photo graphic evidence of canadian's with British Made trucks, But the photos could just be captioned wrong they could also be British soldiers. what i am looking for is absolute proof.

James

Pilfered off another forum James!

"The "englischer "Panzerspähwagen" is in fact a Canadian Arty Quad. It is a little known fact that the Canadian 1st Div landed at Brest after Dunkirk and was part of a force that was suposed to continue the battle for France. The hopeklessness of the situation was soon realised and the whole division was reloaded ad returned to England. In the mad panic of the time, the 1st Cdn Div arty were the only, repeat, only, artillery to bring back their guns. Being one of the first units to be issued with the 18/25 pdr, these were quite new and not easily replaced.

Paul Roberts

Respond to this message

Steve Guthrie

(Login guthrie)

Missing-Lynx members

69.159.74.185 Ooooh, a Morris Commercial Mk.I March 23 2005, 7:53 PM

Hi there

Rare photo of a rare vehicle, thanks!

Just a small correction, Paul. Only the 1st Brigade of the 1st Canadian Infantry Div and some of it's supporting arms landed at Brest. This included the 1st Field Regiment RCA, who's Arm of Service marking was a '3' in white on red/blue.

Just as the photo shows. The formation was largely equipped with British vehicles as 1 CID came to the UK with small arms only and no MT.

The story of the return of the Canadian guns is quite the tale, isn't it? The CRA of 1 Div was Ham Roberts, who later got blamed for the Dieppe disaster, was the guy who broke the rules and brought back his own guns, plus a couple of Bofors guns and some workshop trucks belonging to British units.

They actually tried to court marshall him for disobeying orders to destroy all his guns. This was quietly dropped after it was pointed out the guns he had 'improperly' brought back were the only ones left in the country.

Steve"