3.7" pack howitzer gate guard

I've just got myself a slide scanner, as slide projectors are no longer made, and mine packed up a while ago. I started on my father's slides and came across this one. It shows a Quarter Guard for a visiting official to 18 Lt Regt RA in Sek Kong, New Territories of Hong Kong in 1967. In the background is one of two 3.7" pack howitzers held by the regiment as gate guards.

Bild002.jpg

What a Great picture,I have one of these guns on my wanted list and even managed to track one down,unfortunately I can't pursuade the owner to sell ! :cry:

Rob...............................rnixartillery.

18 regt disbanded under the Defence Review of 1968/69 - the one that created the Royal Irish Rangers and got rid of T&AVR3. What became of those two guns and the ship's bell from HMS Vanguard is still shrouded in mystery!

• 3 weeks later...
Rob, Did you follow up that lead i gave you for one of these guns?

Mike.

Hi Mike

Yes ,I followed the lead.

Very nice bloke to talk to but as usual I was a couple years to late, I do know were the guns went though.

One of them was a very rare airborne conversion but still missing its barrel,block etc.

I'll keep looknig !

Thanks Mike.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

Hi Mike

Very nice bloke to talk to but as usual I was a couple years to late, I do know were the guns went though.

One of them was a very rare airborne conversion but still missing its barrel,block etc.

I'll keep looknig !

Thanks Mike.

Are there any of the original type, with the spoked wheels from 1910 (I think), still around?

Hi Mike

I'll keep looknig !

Thanks Mike.

Such is life Rob! No chance of tracking them to thier next owner?

Mike.

• 1 year later...

Well,I thought I would re-open this thread from last year regarding the 3.7" Mountain gun.As I have quite an interest in these guns I have been searching hi and low for one to add to my collection and after some negotiation I have acquired the carriage and recuperator of a MKI which was built between 1915 and 1918.Like most it was converted in the 1920's for mechanised transport and fitted with comercial truck wheels and tyres and later went on to serve throughout WW2.

Although I only have 60% of the gun I have already tracked down a complete WWI sight assembly in the states which a colleague of mine found in Iraq !.I will also be looking to fit the original wood spoked wheels if I can find a reputable wheel wrights who have patterns.

Pics attached.

Rob.........................rnixartillery.

DSCF5611.jpg

DSCF5615.jpg

DSCF5612.jpg

Couldn't help but notice the Martian trying to hide in the background.

If you're talking about the original pic from Hong Kong - you're right. 18 (Light) Regt, RA, based in Sek Kong, had two batteries of 105mm Pack-Howitzers and one of 5.5" guns. I believe they were disbanded in situ in 1968/69.

I don't know what happened to the 3.7" Pack Howitzers, or indeed the ship's bell from HMS Vanguard, that was in the regiment's custody.

PS The Indian Army were still using spoked-wheel versions in 1962/63, and they saw action against Pakistan.

Edited by schliesser92

• 4 weeks later...

Sight mount delivered from the states whilst down at War and Peace,quite suprised it got here as the bottom of the box was hanging out when it arrived.After cleaning the lanolin off (which took some doing) I fitted it to the carriage so very pleasing to find another piece to the puzzle !

Its amazing how some of these parts can still be found if you know were to look.

Rob.................rnixartillery.

DSCF5902.jpg

DSCF5954.jpg

DSCF5955.jpg