Series 3 Lightweight production

Skint George

According to "Half Ton Military Land Rover" by Mark Cook (the bible on the lightweight) the first RHD was early May 72, first LHD 9 May 72, delivery started to CVD Hilton shortly after. They were still building Rover 1s (IIA lightweight) up to March 72 despite civvy Series 3 production starting the previous year.

It was sometime in 1970 that the headlights were shifted to the wings to meet lighting regs, about 1500 were built like that. This can confuse people because at first glance they look like a Series 3

According to "Half Ton Military Land Rover" by Mark Cook (the bible on the lightweight) the first RHD was early May 72, first LHD 9 May 72, delivery started to CVD Hilton shortly after. They were still building Rover 1s (IIA lightweight) up to March 72 despite civvy Series 3 production starting the previous year.

It was sometime in 1970 that the headlights were shifted to the wings to meet lighting regs, about 1500 were built like that. This can confuse people because at first glance they look like a Series 3

First 'civi' ones with headlights in wings were 1969 .

Mark Cook is my best mate. I've known him more than 20 years. If you want any info on Lightweights he is the man to ask. He is on holiday in the Philippines for a month though (alright for some)

Hi Sean. So mine was built 13th May 72, 4 days into the Series 3 production run.

Does the book say how many were built on any given day?

Mine went to CAVD Ashford.

Mark J Cook's book is hard to get, anyone got one for sale?

As mentioned Mark is my best mate. I have a pristine copy, and signed!! But not for sale I'm afraid. Even though he is my best mate he still charged me for it, LOL...:shocked:

If you do a search around various book sites, not just amazon, you may find one, it went through a reprint. It gives details of contract numbers etc but not detailed production dates. Any lightweight owner should get this book!

Mark let me use some of his pics of 101s for display purposes, he served in the unit my 101 belonged to had pics of it in service, sound guy.

If you do a search around various book sites, not just amazon, you may find one, it went through a reprint. It gives details of contract numbers etc but not detailed production dates. Any lightweight owner should get this book!

Mark let me use some of his pics of 101s for display purposes, he served in the unit my 101 belonged to had pics of it in service, sound guy.

I think he was in 100 Field Regt REME TA in Luton. He was a gun fitter.

I think he was in 100 Field Regt REME TA in Luton. He was a gun fitter

Yes, 201 Battery (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry), sent me a unit crest as well. Met several others from the unit as a result of putting them on the doors, apparantly mine was the most unreliable!

• 2 weeks later...