Tracta Joint Seals

champman

Question

I have a few tracta joint seals and I don't know what they fit and it seems a pity to let them go to waste -I think they are tracta joint seals because of the 45 degree angles on the inside. On the seal is, 'CACO MIS50', on the wrapping, MT1 5330.99.801.4847. Size, 6" od, 4.9" id, .49" thick. They are bigger than Austin Champ ones.

I tried Googling 'CACO', but no luck, is the firm still going or?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards to all.

9 answers to this question

Maybe it is GAYCO or GACO as in George Angus & Co Ltd. That NSN gives a VAOS with a prefix that is general MT spares, not vehicle specific & uses the GO (George Angus) code so it might fit several vehicles as there is also a RAF vocab ref no which is general & not vehicle specific. There is also a Foden number & a RN one. It was used by UK, NZ & Australia. Any clues there?

Hi Chris, "rotary shaft seal", excuse my ignorance here. "shaft" I would take to mean a parallel shaft like the mainshaft on a gearbox? The seals I have have a triangular profile on the inside and, as in the Tracta housing joint seals on the Champ, one angular side bears on the housing of the Tracta joint. Help appreciated.

Hi Chris, wow!, thanks for the great info. Now I can see the triangular section at dimension 'S'. So there is some vehicle that uses the same type of Tracta drive as the Champ but much bigger. Thanks again. Can anyone suggest a vehicle? or look in their parts book for bigger mv's? It's a shame to waste these seals, and, if I sell them, I will donate half to an mv charity.

On Champ Tracta housing seals, the book gives, LV6/MT1/GO/B15081, 4 3\4" x 5.449 x

1\2". As far as I know these are no longer available, are these seals in the GACO book? - one mv spares dealer is selling standard shaft seals with the wrong internal profile and the wrong outer diameter as Champ Tracta housing seals, be warned.

If genuine seals are no longer available I can let anyone know where to get repros, and correctly made ones.

Hi Chris, wow!, thanks for the great info. Now I can see the triangular section at dimension 'S'. So there is some vehicle that uses the same type of Tracta drive as the Champ but much bigger.

Hi Champman,

What Chris is trying to show you, is that your seal, MIS 50, is a standard rotary seal, and not a Tracta seal, they are different in lip profile.

Hi, thanks for posts. I now know that these are not Tracta seals, I just thought that with the section of these they could be another form of Tracta seal but they are not.

Are MIS 50 seals still available today? Thanks for all your help.