Land Rover Truck Utility Medium GS Cargo 13 KJ 97

Well.I thought I would start a blog on my restoration/put right of my Defender.

As Im sure you all know I only paid a cracking £796 for 1990 Defender with a TDI200 engine!

good tyres,MOT and TAX for 6months , so all in all a good price

Engine is a runner but the box does not engage

So, now the review after engine removal and gearbox out.

The clutch is the worst example I have seen! absolutly ruined!

The gearbox is also not good, the main shaft has loads of play and when you turn it the prop mounts in the transfer box dont move at all.. but if you hold the prop mount you can feel all sorts of bad coming through your hand..

SO new clutch and box on way I hope..

And refit after a bay repaint and overhaul of many bits.. Ill post pictures soon as I go and what I have been doing..

DSC00889.jpg

Engine and box removed! So I can get on with the chassis and engine bay painting

DSC00891.jpg

Engine bay painted..

DSC00894.jpg

Steering protectors and axle guards are a bonus! for the price paid

DSC00892.jpg

next job, cut these off and do the job the right way!

DSC00893.jpg

Cant believe some people would leave mounts like this!

DSC00900.jpg

Engine in waiting for steamclean and overhaul

DSC00886.jpg

As it was a V8 adnd converted to a Tdi200 new seat base and tunnel was needed, so a quick lick of paint to keep it inkeeping

DSC00896.jpg

1hour and several tonnes of mud later I have a clean chassis! only one very minor scab on an outrigger.. the rest is very good

New Gearbox(take out running unit from a 110 1993) slotted in on new mounts,Just waiting for my friend to come and reinforce/fix the hashed engine mounts.

Gives me time to fit the new fuel tank

And the new flywheel and clutch,hoses,filters,and other bits before the lump goes back in:)

DSC00920.jpg

Looking more tidy by the day!

DSC00924.jpg

after banging the rear crossmember and poking it about there is a small hole.. not sure what to do with this as I dont want to replace the whole thing and I dont want little patches all over.. wonder what the MOD would do? Its strong all over except there

DSC00927.jpg

Tdi 200 after filter changes. Cam belt . New clutch and flywheel and gaskets where I can get to

DSC00928.jpg

Now just waiting on the engine mounts to be re-welded and replace the engine.. along with new hoses.. turbo hoses and the new Electric Kenlowe Fan..

Also fitted a new fuel tank today as It was weeping from somewhere which had advanced to a drip so I thought just scrap it and get a new one! Britpart.. my first experience.. not the greatest fit.. but not as bad as they are rated

Ref the hole in your rear cross member......... if it's within 30cms of a rear spring shackle and now the towbar mounting; it's an MOT fail. Towbar mountings are now another item on the checklist.

The best way of dealing with a hole like that is to cut a hole in the crossmember, with an angle grinder, and flush weld a plate in there. Spray it over with stone chip and paint it in the normal way. No one will ever know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, kept him busy and off the streets for the day..

Today I delt with the hole that was created when the vehicle was a V8 and in private hands. The hole was for the LPG filler neck.

DSC00934.jpg

I pondered how to fill and make good,but I repaired just as the MOD would do. Metal Plate and rivets and a nice thick smear of sealant.

DSC00976.jpg

Well busy day! Thanks to my fried Dice and Alex for their help!

The engine is in.. All new oils in everything from boxes to axles...(not cheap now days!)

I had the joy today of turning the key and it jumping to life!!!! It runs!

So now just the Exhaust system and the kenlowe fan to fit as well as refitting the whole floor and cab.. and its go go go!

I have not driven to find out if the new box has solved the problem.. but when placed in gear it does not move! so It is engaging drive :)

New radiator has been fitted,kenlowe fans fitted.

Tomorrow the transfer box seals get replaced..

And it just ironing out the bad bits over time..

So I have managed to get a myself,so far! what I can see a

Truck Utility Medium on a 1990 reg, with a 200tdi :) for around £2300 give or take a few pounds..

So all in. not bad?