Spare Tire carrier nuts

armydriver

This is probably not new to most of you guys, but it was a revelation to me. I recent received a spare tire carrier for my long wheeled base CCKW from a really nice MVer in the Neatherlands and with it I received two of the original nuts that hold the spare tire on. On first appearance they appear as any other Budd lug nut, but then you realize that they do not have the external threads on them for the large nut.

Just a small bit of information for the real purist out there. I would have never known and would have assumed the regular lug nut would have been what was used.

have a great week guys.

AD

I wish I knew Jack. When these trucks were generally de-militarized and turned into what ever it was going to do in civilian live, whether it was to be a logging truck, work in the oilfields or on a farm, it seemed that the spare tire carruer was in the way and discarded. Other parts are often needed also, inclucing the pintle hook and rear bumberettes, but those have generally been available. Not so with the spare tire carriers. Also try to find the open cab parts over here, like the windshield assembly. Next to impossible. Most restorers here need a spare parts truck to take parts from in order to build one from two. The parts I needed to restore old Betty Boop came from a friend in Sweden from a parts truck he had.